link exchanges

Reaction score
hi,

I wonder if anyone has experiance of swapping links with other sites.

Specifically, I'm having a hard time finding quality websites to swap links with, the website is a business site based on the south coast to do with weddings. I'd prefer to swap with related sites but will consider most things if it makes sense / site looks right.

I have various other sites I can put links onto in exchange or swap with other types of service.

Any general advice about link swapping would be great.

Either way please check out http://www.dorset-wedding-photographer.co.uk :)

Thanks,
Sil

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
See if you get get your site into www.dmoz.org as that can get you some good links (other sites use the same database). Also try contacting others in the same dmoz category for some links, as if they aren't competing they will probably welcome mutually beneficial cross-links.

Reaction score
yep dmoz is a good place to start, I submitted there a few days ago :)

I will look through the dir for places to link (as well as google) I was just wishing for a less work intensive way to swap links with sites, there's got to be an easier way ? :)

Thanks!

Sil

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, there may be now that I think about it! Check out the link exchange part on www.digitalpoint.com - if I remember there is an automated link ring there that people can join :D

Reaction score
thanks, had a look round and found their free banner exchange but no link swapping thing (I could find)

Sil

Reaction score
dorset wedding photographer

thanks, yep is still a banner/traffic swap type system, was really looking for something which made exchanging links easier with related business - seems there may be no easy way :\

the clients business is professional wedding photography based on Dorest and hamshire border, they do a variety of weding styles, traditional and reportage as well as other types of event photography

I made up a quick site to see if I can get it to the top of SEs for the obvious keywords Dorset Wedding Photographer - not sure it'll have much success but is an experiment :)

Their 'real site' is elsewhere but seeing what the SEs will make of this one ;)

Sil

Reaction score
The way to do it might be to have a page linking to local services that can offer similar services, ie as a wedding photographer you could link to a local site for wedding cakes, and perhaps a couple of local function suites that provide wedding services etc etc.

Google seems to like non-reciprocal links better for some reason, but 2nd hand links are better.

ie, your site links to site 2
site 2 has a link to site 3
site 3 links back to your site

weird, but true (i think!)

Also, don't link to too many sites as you'll reduce the efficiency of this, and rather than writing the company name between the anchor tags, write what they do, ie <a href="weddingcakesite">Wedding Cakes</a> works better than <a href="weddingcakesite">Jims Bakery</a>

Reaction score
doh! I should have looked at the site first, you've already done this.

ps, where are the photo examples? pictures speak louder than words on the web!

Reaction score
thanks, I did find a nice site for searching for link partners
http://www.linkpartners.com/search.html

the dorset weding photographer site is really just me trying out a few things to see how the SEs like it,. I want to see if I can get it to the top for the obvious search terms :)

the umm real site is elsewhere and has pictures,. but it's like a 2 pronged approach,. actually there's more than 2 prongs as I'm dabbling with google adwords - not impressed with the click-through on those so far but with enough keyword combinations in adwords I should be able to figure out decent keywords for the site ;)

thanks!

Sil

Reaction score
I know it's only really exciting to me,. but..

the other site abt wedding photography site (not the wedding site at dorset weddings) has got PR5 - which if I say so myself is pretty dam good for something that's been up for less than 2 months :D

it still looks like google is pushing the new PRs into the main index but as a first ranking things look good, hopefully any search on the relative terms i.e. clients looking for award winning wedding photographers based in bournemouth will find the page :)

Sil

Ask a Question