How to get more traffic

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Was just wandering if anyone could give me some advice here?

How do I get more visitors to visit my website, and how can I get more members to join the forums?

I know one of my main solutions is to keep adding more content that people actually want to read.
I have e-mailed all of my friends.
I am trying to spread by word of mouth at my university, but I might get some posters and flyers printed for uni noticeboards too.
I don't really want to start spamming other forums (it's just not polite, and I would frown on others doing it to me). I have so far got away with posting a few links here (but mainly for feedback purposes).
I have also started applying to other sites to exchange traffic as an affiliate.

What else is there i can do initially, as a forum without members to read and write content is pretty darn useless. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Content is king, if you write something good, loads of others will link to it. I'll send you a PM now with an idea for your news :)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, never actually thought of that..very helpful. :)

ANyone else got any suggestions please?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I put the success of PCR down to the female members... ;)

On a more serious note, current articles are a good'un, because when people search for them in google (for example) they will (hopefully) find your site.

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
the latest video cards, and the upcoming dual core CPU are a sure way to get folk to the site!! for video cards i like when a site does a videocardA VS. videocardB or even mutilple cards against each other.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:

On a more serious note, current articles are a good'un, because when people search for them in google (for example) they will (hopefully) find your site.
Yes Bex, female members are definately a plus point, as more often than not, computing boards do seem to be dominated by the male of the species. :)

I am currently working on getting more review items (i've hopefully got some very cool stuff on the way soon).
And I am looking at writing some informative articles aimed at educating amatuers, and pleasing the pros. - I am trying to aim the site at both ends of the computing knowledge scale to appeal to a broader range of viewers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As others have said, lots of reviews and articles - content, really.

S'OK to plug it here as far as I'm concerened as you're a regular and contributing member here, glad to have you along for the ride.

Then contact other forum admins to see if they'll link to your articles in their news roundups and such.

It will take time but the old maxim applies - you only get out what you put in ;) Be patient.

And don't be discouraged, I can remember when this Forum was a bit like the Marie Celeste :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Cache-man said:
And I am looking at writing some informative articles aimed at educating amatuers, and pleasing the pros. - I am trying to aim the site at both ends of the computing knowledge scale to appeal to a broader range of viewers.

I think an 'amateur section' would be a great idea - many people who are searching for info on sites such as these only have basic knowledge of computers, and I can't think of any sites offhand that offer that kind of approach. I'm not saying your whole site should be like that, but a small section could work... just an idea :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I think an 'amateur section' would be a great idea - many people who are searching for info on sites such as these only have basic knowledge of computers, and I can't think of any sites offhand that offer that kind of approach.

I can - the only other Forum I regularly participate in - they have lots of beginner's guides.

It's actually quite a common thing on Forums, some guides are good, others...... well, not so good ;)

It's still a good idea though.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help so far. I am currently working on building my news list and affiliating with similar sites. As for content, I've had to put it on a bit of a back burner for a short time till I get my assignments finished for uni, then I'll be really working on loads of new stuff over the summer.

I will be launching a competition soon, with a free web hosting account up for grabs (courtesy of Chris at iFlexNetwork, previously Liquid Pulse). I will also be hosting more competitions, as soon as i get some new stuff to give away!

I will be revieing some water cooling kit over the coming weeks, which should be of interest to some, I might even try out overclocking my system with it.

I need to ask another favour of you all. The forums are looking a little empty at the moment, so when you've all got the time could you please register with my forums and make a few posts (even if it's just an introduction/hello in the introductions board), as this will encourage newer viewers to post also, as it looks like there are more people there. This would really be appreciated, and if you only make one post and never return to the site (which i hope won't be the case :) ), it would still help me out a lot.

You can register in just a few minutes at www.cache-community.co.uk

Maybe you could post a request of items you'd like me to review, and i'll see what i can do.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just as a sugestion to you, you may want to look at some of your buttons. They are acting a little funky or at least they are that way on my PC.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Sckitty said:
Just as a sugestion to you, you may want to look at some of your buttons. They are acting a little funky or at least they are that way on my PC.
They don't have a problem when i view them. What exactly is the trouble, and what OS and browser are you using? and I'll look into it
Thanks for the sign up BTW ;)

Reaction score
search engines are your friend..

see the links in your sig,. SEs don't really like all the &whatever=something&this=that .. e.g.

http://cache-community.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=27&expv=0&?topic=21.0

the url should not include those things,. I don't know what hacks are around for your board - but something that can make the urls cleaner will help,. alternativly put your articles onto static pages (and make the url include relevant terms) with a link into the forum for ppl to post comments..

here's what we do for VB - google loves it http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t18085_remove_solid_peer_read_this_for_a_soluti

e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=remove+solid+peer

;)

Sil

Reaction score
When i went to log on to it the register and other two buttons that are there to sign on add off were over lapping. I am using Xp pro with SP2 and i am using internet explore. It may just be my computers but that happened on three of mine and thought i should bring it to youir attention. Btw no prob about the sign up for your site you need people and i would hope that you would do the same thing for me!

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:

I haven't been around for a while but my decision to come back was purely male hormone-based as a direct instinctive reaction to the comments of female forum members. Sexy Bex, in particular, made my hard drive rattle:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if I started writing articles...?! ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
easy to follow guides e.g. how to keep your PC clean of crap and working smoothly, how to do simple upgrades like adding a second HD

also a list of software that is adaware free and tried and tested

Last edited:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Sckitty said:
When i went to log on to it the register and other two buttons that are there to sign on add off were over lapping. I am using Xp pro with SP2 and i am using internet explore. It may just be my computers but that happened on three of mine and thought i should bring it to youir attention. Btw no prob about the sign up for your site you need people and i would hope that you would do the same thing for me!
The problem you mention only seems to happen on IE as by default it uses a larger text size for everything.
I recommend using Firefox for my site, or using slightly smaller screen fonts in IE

Ask a Question