Limited or no connectivity

Reaction score
Hello.
I live in a building with many students, all of us running private internet connections. We're all using the Inventel Livebox (modem/wireless router), most of us on various versions of windowsXP.
I use an ethernet connection, but know that my wireless connection (using D-Link usb adapter) has never worked, although I don't know why.
2 girls downstairs have been using, respectively, an HP Pavillion and a Sony, with internal wireless, to connect to their livebox on 802.11 network, channel 10. The girl next door to them was connecting to the same router from a Mac notebook.
A week ago, for no apparent reason, all systems stopped connecting simultaneously. The 2 windows PCs are hanging on "Acquiring network address", eventually displaying "Limited or no connectivity". My laptop, which works on most networks (except my own) will not connect to their router either, although mine does not display the same messages (which leads me to believe that I've had the same problem all along, only my older version of XP does not display the errors). The Mac will no longer connect to the router either.

I have performed the following:
-Connected both PCs to their own router using Ethernet: worked
-Tested both PCs on friends' (functioning) routers, wirelessly: failed
-Downloaded a SP2 fix from PChell.com: failed
-Stopped Wireless Zero Configuration: failed
-Unplugged, reboot, Reset the router (Erased flash memory)

We have yet to test a known functioning wireless laptop on the malfunctioning router. Will update as soon as we do.
What is most intriguing to me is that (based on the mac no longer connecting either) the box failed at exactly the same moment that the 2 PCs failed (based on tests on other routers).

Any help you could offer would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ask a Question