Subject: Life expectancy of IDE disk
From: "Moonlit" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 05/07/03 04:26 Pacific Daylight Time

Hi,

I want to use one of my old pc's (pentium pro 200) as a router/internet
server (currently I have a Pentium 133/32MB doing the same thing). However
this one hasn't got any power saving features so it won't turn of the
harddisk after a certain period.

I wonder what is the life expectancy of a regular (maxtor) IDE disk if it is
running 24 hours a day (not much writing or reading though).

Anyone got any experience with this?

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

I would buy a motherboard and processor on ebay that is more up to date and
that supports IDE power saving.

It would be a good idea to get a motherboard that supports RAID so that you can
run two hard drives so that the system is duplicated.

If one hard drive goes down, the system switches to the other hard drive
running a clone of the system.

Eric,
PC Buyer Beware!
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Moonlit

Hi,

Thanks, yes I thought about that (or actually buying some outdated hardware
with power savings in a regular shop). I just wondered if I could do it real
cheap :)

Thanks for your reply.

Regards Ron AF Greve.

bobb

Hi,

Thanks, yes I thought about that (or actually buying some outdated hardware
with power savings in a regular shop). I just wondered if I could do it real
cheap :)

Wait until a constantly running box drives you nuts with its humming
noise, then you'd be throwing gazillions$ to silence it. No to mention
the saving in the electric$ bill, of couse this doesn't apply is you
live at parent's.

-bobb

Gareth Church

Moonlit said:
Hi,

I want to use one of my old pc's (pentium pro 200) as a router/internet
server (currently I have a Pentium 133/32MB doing the same thing). However
this one hasn't got any power saving features so it won't turn of the
harddisk after a certain period.

I wonder what is the life expectancy of a regular (maxtor) IDE disk if it is
running 24 hours a day (not much writing or reading though).

Anyone got any experience with this?

Life expectancy of hard disks follows the bath-curve. Drives either suffer
from infant mortality, or they give quite a few years of good service. The
vast majority of drives will last a good 3- 5 years. At the top-end things
can really expand out. It isn't uncommon at all to have 10 year old drives
still running strong in machines that run 24/7.

Gareth

Moonlit

Hi,

bobb said:
Wait until a constantly running box drives you nuts with its humming
noise, then you'd be throwing gazillions$ to silence it. No to mention
Well I am used to the noise with my current machines :).
the saving in the electric$ bill, of couse this doesn't apply is you
this is the reason I don't use my old HP9000/380 series as internet server.
But it sure would do well for an 24/7 machine (it has run for may years in a
production environment without flaw). (and makes more noise then 5 PC's
-) ).
live at parent's.
Ha, I am 39 years old, but you are right maybe I should go back to mum and
dad :)
Thanks for your Reply,

Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Wayne

OK, help me understand this.

I have 2 Maxtor 200 GB IDE 133 drives. Motherboard Moniter 5 is reporting a
temperature of 23 degrees for drive 0 and 42 degrees for drive 1. I would
expect drive 1 to be hotter ... its in a removable bay. but 23 can't be
correct, room temperature is 25.

Ken

OK, help me understand this.

I have 2 Maxtor 200 GB IDE 133 drives. Motherboard Moniter 5 is reporting a
temperature of 23 degrees for drive 0 and 42 degrees for drive 1. I would
expect drive 1 to be hotter ... its in a removable bay. but 23 can't be
correct, room temperature is 25.

Something i wrong with the 23° reading.
42° is seems to be normal. Try to get the 42° down.