Anyone experience with Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 and ubuntu

Ron Greve

Hi,

I want to install a recent OS on my server, but because I have installed so
much stuff on it that I rely on (mail server/web server/SVN server/personal
wiki etc.) That I haven't got the guts to upgrade the thing :)

So I thought about just building a new system and replace it when it does
everything the old one does. I would like to install Ubuntu on it (same as
on the old).

I am thinking of the following system, anyone got any experience with one or
more components especially in combination with ubuntu. (I try to do it on
the cheap, because that's kind of guy I am :) )

AMD Athlon II X4 651, 3.00GHz, 4MB, FM1 36 90,00

Asus F1A55-V FM1 A55 4xDDR3 ATX 36 79,00

Asus PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter 300MBit, PCIe, x1 24 35,00

G.Skill PK 6GB(3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL7 99 66,00

Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 36 109,00

Regards, Ron AF Greve

Paul

Ron said:
[...]

I could find one reviewer on Newegg, using a motherboard with A55 chipset,
that was using Ubuntu on it. So that implies the A55 chipset storage
ports (SATA) aren't a problem.

There are socket FM1 processors, with or without built-in graphics.
Your 651 choice doesn't have graphics in the CPU, as near as I can
determine. Which means, when it comes to graphics drivers, you just
have to make sure your graphics card purchase, has Linux drivers.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket FM1.html

Example of FM1 socket device with build-in graphics
"HD 6550D GPU runs at 600 MHz and has 400 shader" - A8-3870K

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series A8-3870 AD3870WNZ43GX.html

And one without.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 651 - AD651XWNZ43GX (AD651XWNGXBOX).html

For RAM, I'd be looking at a 2x4GB pair, as 4GB DDR3 modules seem
to be pretty cheap these days.

The customer review here for Asus PCE-N15, says "It is also fully
supported under Kubuntu 11.10! Finally, no third party drivers!".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&Tpk=PCE-N15

There are no on-topic posts in the F1A55-V section of vip.asus.com
forums at all, so no Ubuntu experience there.

Paul

Ron Greve

"Paul" wrote in message news:[email protected] for your reply!
Didn't look at the GC, I thought because there was a VGA connector it would
have onboard graphics. It will be a headless PC but when something goes
wrong it is nice to see something on the screen. Probably will plugin some
old card, I think I have an old card PCI lying around somewhere.

Ok, I had a lot of problems with ram/motherboard with my last PC (a few
years back). Swapped both motherboard and ram and it still wasn't stable (in
the end it was the dual channel mode that just didn't work for DDR3, though
both modules were sold as a pair). So wanted to stick to the qvl list (and
stuff available from my vendor). But I have another look.
Thanks again for the comments. I have to give the thing a bit more thought.

Regards, Ron

Top