Licensing

I have changed our Forest from Per Server to Per Seat and
have gone from 3 domains to a single domain.

Under Licensing:

Clients(Per Seat) tab;
-every time I delete the old domain licenses but they
keep popping back up somehow

Products View;
-the Per Server Licenses still show up even though we
have changed over to Per Seat. I am not able to remove
licenses for Servers that no longer exits either.

Thanks in advance.

David Pharr [MSFT]

You should be able to reset the licensing database using the steps listed
at the end of this article:

185953 How License Service Keeps Track of License Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=185953

However, Microsoft does not enforce licensing through software so I would
not waste too much time troubleshooting that problem. Licensing is an
administrative tool that is problematic at best and will not be fixed.
Easiest thing to do is to turn off the license logging service.

316631 How to Turn Off the License Logging Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316631

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Licensing
| Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:29:19 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| I have changed our Forest from Per Server to Per Seat and
| have gone from 3 domains to a single domain.
|
| Under Licensing:
|
| Clients(Per Seat) tab;
| -every time I delete the old domain licenses but they
| keep popping back up somehow
|
| Products View;
| -the Per Server Licenses still show up even though we
| have changed over to Per Seat. I am not able to remove
| licenses for Servers that no longer exits either.
|
| Thanks in advance.

I have already tried this, yes this resets my licensing
but some how, the 2 domains that I had gotten rid of, and
servers that no longer exist come back some how, I can not
figure this one out.

David Pharr [MSFT]

You'll need to delete the information from all license servers in your
enterprise that participate in replication of the licensing information.
It sounds like another machine has that information in its database and is
replicating that information to the site license server.

Below is an article that outlines how to reset it through an enterprise.
It's an NT4.0 article but I believe it should work in 2000.

194065 How to Reset License Manager Throughout an Enterprise
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=194065

The most comprehensive information you will see on licensing is included in
the Help Topics for Licensing. That provides more detailed information
about licensing than any kb article or other document I can think of.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Licensing
| Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:55:18 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| I have already tried this, yes this resets my licensing
| but some how, the 2 domains that I had gotten rid of, and
| servers that no longer exist come back some how, I can not
| figure this one out.

| >|
| >| I have changed our Forest from Per Server to Per Seat
| and
| >| have gone from 3 domains to a single domain.
| >|
| >| Under Licensing:
| >|
| >| Clients(Per Seat) tab;
| >| -every time I delete the old domain licenses but they
| >| keep popping back up somehow
| >|
| >| Products View;
| >| -the Per Server Licenses still show up even though we
| >| have changed over to Per Seat. I am not able to remove
| >| licenses for Servers that no longer exits either.
| >|
| >| Thanks in advance.
| >|