LG FLATRON monitor "shimmering"

Reaction score
A 4 year old LG Flatron L1710B monitor, bought as part of a package from Evesham, has developed an intermittent fault, that has recently become less intermittent! Connected DVI to a Radeon 9000 64mb graphics card and running Windows XP. At first, the problem only occured occasionally, usually when the monitor had been off for a while (coming back from holiday, etc.). The display "shimmers" and lines appear to crawl up the screen. The only areas of the screen not affected are solid blue colours, for example the sky in the XP startup screen. The problem is instant in its appearance and when it clears, that is also instant. I used to be able to "fix" it temporarily, by switching the monitor off and then on again.
Incidentally, I ran a driver scan via Driveragent.com which told me my graphics card and monitor drivers were not up to date. Instructions for installing the new Radeon driver said I should remove the old driver first. Surely if I remove one driver before installing another, the card won't work at all - or am I missing something?
I'm afraid LG support services did not recognise the problem and could offer no advice. I hope someone here can.
Many thanks in advance......Amant.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, it may be time to treat yourself to a nice new shiny LCD/TFT monitor ... but a few things to try first.

Degauss it ... does it have any on-board means of doing this ?

If you lower the screen refresh down to 60Hz or up high to 85 Hz, does it still shimmer.

Have you bought any new electrical equipment lately

New drivers may help, uninstalling the old driver will not render the thing useless, it'll just look crap until you reset the res & refresh, if needed.

I take it this is a CRT monitor ?

:user:

Reaction score
Sorry, should have said, it is a TFT screen.
Will try the things you mention and let you know how I get on. (I presume you don't degauss TFT screens?)
No new electrical equipment purchased recently.
Thanks for the reassurance about the drivers.
Amant.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
LoL ... Forget all that then. :D

Correct, you cannot degauss a TFT monitor.

I would go ahead and install the newer drivers. ;)

Report back and let us know. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Borrowed a friend's monitor this evening and that works fine, so I think mine must have a terminal disease. Will most likely raid the piggy bank tomorrow and go and buy a shiny new one.
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes..........Amant.

Ask a Question