Let's design the ultimate PC case...

Reaction score
I never understand how manufacturers fail to put everything into a single case....so here's my list of essentials for the ultimate case:

Aluminium throughout for light weight and cooling
Rubber grommets and washers on all screws and connections for vibration/sound dampening
120mm filtered low noise intake fan blowing across hard drive bays (with washable filter)
120mm exhaust fan extracting air directly from CPU area
Removable plates to allow fitting of additional fans in key areas - e.g. top exhaust etc.
5x external 5.5'' bays for optical drives and front panels as required
2x3.5'' bays for FDD, fan controllers, card reader, etc
Minimum of 6x HDD slots for RAID configs with easy install runners/slot connection (and rubber dampeners)
Front panel for USB, Firewire, Audio as required
Front stealthed PCI-mounting areas for additional USB/Firewire connection to motherboard
Optional casters/wheels + brake; or fixed rubberised feet for desk standing
Inflexible but removable mobo tray (that keeps its shape so it doesn't take an age to reinstall)
Toolless, hinged, side and top panel opening
Security screws as an option
Slideable window panel that allows for full shielding or exhibition of interior as desired
Cable management clips and ties as part of the 'extras' box
Labelled motherboard screw sockets on tray for different formats (ATX, Micro etc)

...anyway...I'm sure there's more....

Anyone think I should add/change something???

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Pretty much on the button, but just to mention one thing, an aluminium case makes no difference to cooling whatsoever, that's a myth.

That fallacy came about as aluminium is a better heat disperser than steel, but the case isn't used as a heatsink, so any difference in heat dissipation is so minimal as to be not worth regarding.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Perhaps the case should be one giant heatsink...hmm..
those are things we all want on a case, perhaps you should e mail a case builder?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Tis true, whatever case I buy, there are always one or two features that are missing or not quite right.
I think you listed all of the main points I would look for though, and wouldn't it be great to have ALL of the features in one case.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a good list there, but I like thumbscrews on everything - makes things so much easier :)

Reaction score
I agree that comments about aluminium cases being a good heatsink are overstated - I buy aluminium for weight more than cooling properties though.

Lockable screws - Good sets available now - good suggestion!

I've just ordered an Akasa Eclipse for collection this weekend. I'm building my new rig with 4 raptors in it!!! that's why i like light cases, so I can bang loads of hardware in. The Akasa does seem to have most of the things in my list - but, as usual, certainly not all of them:(...One day though...;)

Reaction score
Hmmm my case is nice has alot you mentioned not the rubber washers i must say and not alluminum but the front it :D its all screwless with a decent lock on the front but if you pull hard enough it will brake like crumbs..... Very heavy though i must say prob 40lbs with everything in it.. its a super tower also its in the user reviews check it out.

Reaction score
Best way i`ve found to shut up a hard disk is...velcro. No seek noise, no vibration. A bodge effort, without a doubt but effective.

I`d maybe have the hard disks across the front of the case a la Temjin, Antec P160 etc with their own fans and a wall between the drive bays and the main chamber. I`d have another set of fans for the main chamber. Keep the heat sources separate, even if disks dontcreate much heat. Having them mounted sideways with a separate access panel makes switching etc easier.

Reaction score
That was almost a perfect list. Things I hadn't even thought about or just took for granted. Though What whould be the purpose of using lock bolts if you have a sliding glass panel???

Reaction score
Raje said:
That was almost a perfect list. Things I hadn't even thought about or just took for granted. Though What whould be the purpose of using lock bolts if you have a sliding glass panel???

Ah yes...good question...but what I mean by a sliding glass panel is a full PC casing that allows you top slide one panel back to reveal a window into the case - it doesn't actually give access to it. This would give you full EMI shielding as required and would allow you to 'stealth' the pc, but also let you reveal it's inner workings if you want to check somethings running ok or simply show off at a lan party.:cool:

Ask a Question