Legends for Desk-top Icons

James Silverton

I apologize in advance for what may be a FAQ, but how can you
remove the legends on desktop icons, like My Documents, Recycle
Bin and other shortcuts? I cannot find any place to change the
settings. I don't need them and I certainly get by very well
with no icons on the Office Shortcut Bar.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Ramesh, MS-MVP

James,

Select an icon and press F2 to rename. Replace the existing icon text with a
single space. Similarly, do the same for the remaining icons. For the 2nd
icon, insert two spaces, three spaces for the 3rd icon, and so forth.

Also note that the Recycle Bin cannot be renamed without using a registry
hack.
See this page for more information:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36726.aspx

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I apologize in advance for what may be a FAQ, but how can you
remove the legends on desktop icons, like My Documents, Recycle
Bin and other shortcuts? I cannot find any place to change the
settings. I don't need them and I certainly get by very well
with no icons on the Office Shortcut Bar.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton

Hello, Ramesh,!
You wrote on Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:11:18 +0530:

RMM> Select an icon and press F2 to rename. Replace the
RMM> existing icon text with a single space. Similarly, do the
RMM> same for the remaining icons. For the 2nd icon, insert two
RMM> spaces, three spaces for the 3rd icon, and so forth.

RMM> Also note that the Recycle Bin cannot be renamed without
RMM> using a registry hack.
RMM> See this page for more information:
RMM> http://www.tweakxp.com/article36726.aspx

As I have done many times before, thank you Ramesh!

I wonder why Microsoft felt that legends were so necessary?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton

Hello, James!
You wrote to Ramesh, MS-MVP on Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:12:50 -0400:

RMM>> Select an icon and press F2 to rename. Replace the
RMM>> existing icon text with a single space. Similarly, do the
RMM>> same for the remaining icons. For the 2nd icon, insert
RMM>> two spaces, three spaces for the 3rd icon, and so forth.

RMM>> Also note that the Recycle Bin cannot be renamed without
RMM>> using a registry hack.
RMM>> See this page for more information:
RMM>> http://www.tweakxp.com/article36726.aspx

JS> As I have done many times before, thank you Ramesh!

JS> I wonder why Microsoft felt that legends were so necessary?

Well, I tried but F2 followed by a space, then Enter did nothing
at all. The previous legend just returned. I also tried
RIGHT-CLICK and click Rename with the same result as I suppose I
might have expected :-(

I wonder if I would be able reclaim the space used for the
legends even if I did get the method to work?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Try using the ALT + 255 method, which inserts a null char.
Press and hold the ALT key, and then from the numeric keyboard, press 255.
Doing it again will insert another null char.

Quote from one of the MS-KB articles written for MS-DOS

<Q>

ALT+255 represents SPACEBAR. This character works if you press ALT+255. It
does not work if you press SPACEBAR

</Q>

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Hello, James!
You wrote to Ramesh, MS-MVP on Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:12:50 -0400:

RMM>> Select an icon and press F2 to rename. Replace the
RMM>> existing icon text with a single space. Similarly, do the
RMM>> same for the remaining icons. For the 2nd icon, insert
RMM>> two spaces, three spaces for the 3rd icon, and so forth.

RMM>> Also note that the Recycle Bin cannot be renamed without
RMM>> using a registry hack.
RMM>> See this page for more information:
RMM>> http://www.tweakxp.com/article36726.aspx

JS> As I have done many times before, thank you Ramesh!

JS> I wonder why Microsoft felt that legends were so necessary?

Well, I tried but F2 followed by a space, then Enter did nothing
at all. The previous legend just returned. I also tried
RIGHT-CLICK and click Rename with the same result as I suppose I
might have expected :-(

I wonder if I would be able reclaim the space used for the
legends even if I did get the method to work?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

James Silverton

Hello, Ramesh,!
You wrote on Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:19:36 +0530:

??>>> which inserts a null char

RMM> Not null, but an invisible character actually.

RMM> --
RMM> Regards,

RMM> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
RMM> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

RMM> RMM> Try using the ALT + 255 method, which inserts a null char.
RMM> Press and hold the ALT key, and then from the numeric
RMM> keyboard, press 255. Doing it again will insert another
RMM> null char.

RMM> Quote from one of the MS-KB articles written for MS-DOS

RMM> <Q>

RMM> ALT+255 represents SPACEBAR. This character works if you
RMM> press ALT+255. It does not work if you press SPACEBAR

Thanks again, ALT+255 does work! But, sorry to keep harping on
a very minor problem, the space occupied by the legend is not
released. I have only one column of shortcuts and that's how I
like it but I had hoped to add a few more by removing the
legends.

I have a kludge that lets me do something like what I want: put
the shortcuts in the Office Shortcut Bar, which does have the
"no legend" option.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Ramesh, MS-MVP

James,

I believe the spacing will not be freed, even after setting that invisible
character. Perhaps you can work with the "Appearance" setting, and alter the
Icon spacing (vertical) values.