Learning HTML

Reaction score
I am a first year computing student at uni. I have decided to actually teach myself HTML and was wondering the best site to do this? I dont think i will be taught it at uni, so by learning it myself it should help me in the future. Its the first time i have actually decided to learn anythign useful as i really only know basic computing things such as databases, spreadsheets etc

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Hope this is in the right section.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I would recommend a good HTML book, a syou can quickly refer to the relevant sections, and then refer to a google search if you need further knowledge.

I taught myself HTML for a uni computing course, and found the textbook (and then supplementary website) approach very good.

The book I used is "HTML A beginners guide" second Edition, Wendy Willard. It's here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...ref=sr_1_1/102-1626796-1248146?_encoding=UTF8

There are obviously other good books that may suit different people better, but this one was great for me.

Reaction score
When I first started I used frontpage and then as I got more used to code I tried just using the html editor part of it and could check for any mistakes real quickly.

HTH

Reaction score
frontpage - yuk! it spits out awful code that a lot of browsers won't display. i wouldn't try to understand the code here.

a good editor try is Dreamweaver. you can download a 30 day trial from here

there's loads of free tutorials on the macromedia site too. although it doesn't actually "teach" you HTML, it'll show you how to create a website in no time and you can view the code it uses.

HTML really isn't that difficult to learn so don't be daunted by all the code you see. really do recommend giving webmonkey's site a go. click here to go straight to the HTML tutorials

Ask a Question