LCD vs CRT monitors

Reaction score
alright I would like to know what is better a lcd which i just bought called a Balance and its 17" i havnt tried it for gaming yeat. i had a 17" crt but ineed more room so i put it away and spent $200 on this LCD Let me know what you gamers think. And hows that doom 3 heard it gets old FAST! :p

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I not too keen on LCDs but heard that thier not as good for gaming as CRTs
1. theres is a thing called ghosting that happens when you look around to fast in a FPS or theres fast moving objects. (very annoying)
2. Balance between Black and White is much better on CRTs than LCD (i think)

As For Doom 3, it though it was a good game first time around, Really scared me pants off at times... i cant bring myself to play it at night cause last time i tried i got too freaked out (Z-5300 can get pretty loud) but dont want to play during the day cause the games too damn dark and the light kills the mood. Its pretty scary ill tell you.

Reaction score
it's really a matter of preference.

I have a phillips 17" TFT, and have never really had much of a problem with ghosting, so i'm happy with it :)

what it comes down to is this:

if you want the best quality (or you're on a budget), get a CRT.

if you're tight for space, get a LCD.

and Doom 3? yep, it's really a case of 'go into room, shoot monsters, go to next room, shoot more monsters, etc'. there's not really much variety in it (i haven't seen the latest expansion though)

Reaction score
I have an Acer 17" better than any CRT.

No ghosting what so ever. it hass a 12ms responce rate.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've gone from a TFT to a CRT monitor. The TFT is good for a while, but gets old fast. Its not half as virbrant as a CRT monitor, it doesnt display black very well or any dark colour for that matter and ive heard some people get ghosting which doesnt sound too good either.

The day i went back to CRT from TFT, I couldnt beleive my eyes, how much better the games looked! I was extremely pleased.

If you use your computer mainly for games (like me ;) ) then I would recommend a CRT over a TFT monitor any day of the week.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I agree with Reefsmoka ...

Some people convince themselves, usually to justify the extortionate cost, that LCD/TFTs are "better" than a CRT at gaming ... sorry, it may be so if you can 'afford' the price you need to pay to achieve that standard, but you still find CRTs beating LCD/TFT hands down for "bang for bucks".

I will always make room for a CRT and save my money at the same time. ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Some people convince themselves, usually to justify the extortionate cost, that LCD/TFTs are "better" than a CRT at gaming ... sorry, it may be so if you can 'afford' the price you need to pay to achieve that standard, but you still find CRTs beating LCD/TFT hands down for "bang for bucks".

I will always make room for a CRT and save my money at the same time. ;)

I should have listened to your advice when I bought me TFT them many moons ago :(.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still not tempted by TFT, only advantage they have, far as I can see, is size.

imo they're overpriced and I really don't like the manufacturer's dead pixel policies. I really don't see why I should tolerate a flawed product just because the manufacturer says that's the way it should be.

Reaction score
Everyone has very good points im not reallly low on space i just hate having the computer desk so far from the wall lol.but i havnt done gaming on this monitor but ill give it a try if it bothers me then i will switch back to my crt (in my closet) or maybe a dual monitor set up what do you think about the dual monitors?? and im sorry ian i didnt know the subject was posted New here lol.

Ask a Question