LCD Backlight Replacement

D

Davej

After replacing the LCD backlight bulb in an HP G60 laptop (and finding the root cause -- a burnt mark indicating arcing between one end of the backlight and the grounded LCD frame) and also replacing the inverter board -- I still had no light.

After puzzling over this situation for a very long time I realized that the old bulb was still intact -- if I resoldered the end wire.

I tried plugging in the old bulb -- it worked. So the new bulb is defective, or I managed to damage it during the installation.

P

Paul

Davej said:
After replacing the LCD backlight bulb in an HP G60 laptop (and finding the root cause -- a burnt mark indicating arcing between one end of the backlight and the grounded LCD frame) and also replacing the inverter board -- I still had no light.

After puzzling over this situation for a very long time I realized that the old bulb was still intact -- if I resoldered the end wire.

I tried plugging in the old bulb -- it worked. So the new bulb is defective, or I managed to damage it during the installation.

It's either not the right one for the job,
defective, or out of spec.

In terms of probabilities, you're more likely to
need a new inverter than a new CCFL tube. The CCFL tube
can last to around 25000 hours. The inverters vary in
quality.

You would hope when someone sells you a replacement
inverter, they sell CCFL tubes that match that inverter.
Increasing the odds that combining the two, new, purchased
items, will work.

Paul

D

Davej

It's either not the right one for the job,
defective, or out of spec.

In terms of probabilities, you're more likely to
need a new inverter than a new CCFL tube. The CCFL tube
can last to around 25000 hours. The inverters vary in
quality.

You would hope when someone sells you a replacement
inverter, they sell CCFL tubes that match that inverter.
Increasing the odds that combining the two, new, purchased
items, will work.

I just opened the LCD up again to take a look and apparently I broke the new tube during the reassembly. That makes more sense than a defective new tube.

P

Paul

Davej said:
I just opened the LCD up again to take a look and apparently
I broke the new tube during the reassembly. That makes more
sense than a defective new tube.

I guess your next laptop will have a LED backlight...

Paul

Ask a Question