Lawsuit alleges that Bose headphones spy on listeners

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
A man is filing an injunction against Bose to prevent the company from listening in on users of their headphones and selling the data to third parties. The lawsuit alleges that the company is using their app to track what customers use their headphones to listen to. Reuters has more:

After paying $350 for his QuietComfort 35 headphones, Zak said he took Bose's suggestion to "get the most out of your headphones" by downloading its app, and providing his name, email address and headphone serial number in the process.

But the Illinois resident said he was surprised to learn that Bose sent "all available media information" from his smartphone to third parties such as Segment.io, whose website promises to collect customer data and "send it anywhere."

Audio choices offer "an incredible amount of insight" into customers' personalities, behavior, politics and religious views, citing as an example that a person who listens to Muslim prayers might "very likely" be a Muslim, the complaint said.

"Defendants' conduct demonstrates a wholesale disregard for consumer privacy rights," the complaint said.

Read more here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm going to sue my water board cos I swear they're using a mini submarine in my karzi to find out what I ate for lunch so they can spam me with food adverts.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I had always assumed that ALL companies now spy on us in order to get info that they can then sell on.

Or am I just cynical. :D

Ask a Question