laptop specs

molly1949

with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what th
memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I have no
been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrade th
memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciate

Mike Hall - MVP

molly1949 said:
with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what the
memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I have not
been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrade the
memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciated

Go to

http://www.crucial.com

You can connect to the website and it will tell you what RAM is installed
and all upgrade options open to you..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Paul Smith

with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what the
memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I have not
been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrade the
memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciated

Hello.

Start -> Computer -> System Properties (at the top along the bar under the
address bar).

That'll show the computers RAM.

If you want the full details if you click on 'Windows Experience Index' on
the System Properties page it'll open up the more detailed view.
Alternatively you can just Start Search for Performance Information and
Tools.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

molly1949

'Mike Hall - MVP[_3_ said:
;738712']"molly1949" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what the
memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I hav
not
been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrad
the
memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciated

--
molly1949-

Go to

'Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com
(http://www.crucial.com)

You can connect to the website and it will tell you what RAM i
installed
and all upgrade options open to you..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:
(http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm)
'How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc)
Mike's Window - My Blog..
'Mike's Window' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx)

I went to crucial and downloaded the system check thingy. it did a sca
and gave me some relatively conflicting data..as follows:

memory upgrades
According to our scan, your system already has the maximum amount o
memory installed.
****now, I am really confused as I read the rest below:

drop down arrow
Your HP - Compaq Presario F557US Specifications

Currently installed memory:

EMPTY
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB pe
slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB<<<<<<<
* Currently Installed Memory: 0MB<<<<<<<
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: No
* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
* CPU Family: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3500+ Model 12
Stepping 2
* CPU Speed: 1600 MHz
*
how can I have both the maximum memory installed when it clearly state
I have 0MB installed...and how can my laptop run without memory..lor
help me. so, what now?

Malke

molly1949 said:
I went to crucial and downloaded the system check thingy. it did a scan
and gave me some relatively conflicting data..as follows:

memory upgrades
According to our scan, your system already has the maximum amount of
memory installed.
****now, I am really confused as I read the rest below:
drop down arrow
Your HP - Compaq Presario F557US Specifications
Currently installed memory:
EMPTY
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per
slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB<<<<<<<
* Currently Installed Memory: 0MB<<<<<<<
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: No
* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
* CPU Family: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3500+ Model 12,
Stepping 2
* CPU Speed: 1600 MHz
*
how can I have both the maximum memory installed when it clearly states
I have 0MB installed...and how can my laptop run without memory..lord
help me. so, what now??

Go to Control Panel>System. This will show you how much memory Windows
thinks you have. I suspect you already have 2GB and the "EMPTY" and the "0"
was a glitch. According to the manual for your system, you only have two
memory slots which is normal for a notebook. I checked your model's specs
on Crucial and indeed 2GB is the maximum that notebook can support.

Here are two other free system inventory programs:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Or even easier, simply open up the laptop and look! You can get the how-to
in .pdf form here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3370444&

You want "memory modules - Windows Vista" which will show you exactly how to
work with the memory sticks. Very easy to do.

Malke