Laptop Screen Problem-

Reaction score
I have an IBM Thinkpad- A22M. The screen is malfunctioning and I believe I must have a harness or possibly inverter problem. But I am not sure what those are. But maybe someone can advise me as to how i may be able to fix and troubleshoot the exact problem.

It blacks out and freezes up, and grays out, and has lines in it, but if I mess with the screen and adjust the angle and apply pressure on the left side of screen, I can get it to work sometimes.

Can anyone help me to specifically diagnose, and fix this myself? Maybe a Harness or Inverter cable, or connection? And if so, how do you fix that? Thanks!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hello Mutt, just to rule this out, have you checked the outside of the casing (around the hinges) to see whether there are any hairline cracks? You might need to use a magnifying glass, and if you gently move the "lid" you might see the cracks more plainly as the top flexes (if they exist).

One of our old laptops produced symptoms just like the ones you describe - when the screen blanked, I could sometimes restore the display by easing the lid back and forth. Fortunately, mine was still under guarantee at the time, because the screen/lid needed a complete replacement.

If your problem is more of a technical one, then I'm sure that one of the experts here will be able to help you.

Good luck. Welcome to PC Review :)

Reaction score
figured out how to fix it

esay to fix...what you do is take apart the screen by gradually unscrewing the 4 screws on the outside perimeter and the 2 screws on the bottom perimeter of plastic frame for the screen and carefully lift up screen and examine the connections...pretty easy tp see that and hopefully, I have it working again, as I taped down the connections on the power strip that connects the keybord to the screen. seems to work good....

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:eek: Scary - but resourceful :thumb: well done Mutt :Dl

Last edited:

Ask a Question