Laptop Memory

Virgo

I am writing on my mother's behalf as she is not a member of a newsgroup
(She is 80). My mother has a laptop H.P. and says when she logs on a message
"low memory" pops up, and her computer seems to be running slower than
usual. She wanted to know if she could delete past updates from Microsoft
Windows, and I told her not to do that unless she reads up on the updates
that she has downloaded.
She wants to know what she can do to increase her memory? She has already
deleted temporary files and cookies, and says she defrags regularly. If
there is anything anyone can help her with, I will pass it on to her. Thank
you in advance for your help here.
Virgo

Gordon

Virgo said:
I am writing on my mother's behalf as she is not a member of a newsgroup
(She is 80). My mother has a laptop H.P. and says when she logs on a message
"low memory" pops up, and her computer seems to be running slower than
usual. She wanted to know if she could delete past updates from Microsoft
Windows, and I told her not to do that unless she reads up on the updates
that she has downloaded.
She wants to know what she can do to increase her memory? She has already
deleted temporary files and cookies, and says she defrags regularly. If
there is anything anyone can help her with, I will pass it on to her. Thank
you in advance for your help here.
Virgo

Low "memory" or low "disk space"? the two are NOT the same......

Gordon

Virgo said:
The message she is receiving says low memory.

Then I suspect that is referring to Virtual memory, ie the page file.
BTW, memory and disk space are two entirely different things. You don't
free up more memory by deleting files - that's disk space.

Have a look here for the definitive article on pagefiles:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

db

you can adjust via:

control panel > system >
advanced > performance settings >
advance tab > virtual mem change button.

you have 3 options. i suggest
to use the custom option and
use 2 for a min and 1152 for a max
then reboot.

windows will then be able to manage
the memory within this new size..

although we know how old is
your relative, we don't know
how old is the laptop. So
it the above doesn't readily
help the operating system, then
it is likely a hardware issue
like adding more ram/memory to
the motherboard.

let us know...

- db
I am writing on my mother's behalf as she is not a member of a newsgroup
(She is 80). My mother has a laptop H.P. and says when she logs on a message
"low memory" pops up, and her computer seems to be running slower than
usual. She wanted to know if she could delete past updates from Microsoft
Windows, and I told her not to do that unless she reads up on the updates
that she has downloaded.
She wants to know what she can do to increase her memory? She has already
deleted temporary files and cookies, and says she defrags regularly. If
there is anything anyone can help her with, I will pass it on to her. Thank
you in advance for your help here.
Virgo

David B.

We also don't know how much RAM is in the laptop, so suggesting the fixed
size you did is poor advise, second time I've seen you do this, and again,
how about reducing that font size.

--

----
http://www.db-pc.com

David said:
and again, how about reducing that font size.

He'll ignore you just as he has been ignoring the HTML thing for years
db knows best on how to post to Usenet and everyone else can go hang.

db

not interested in you or yours....

pompous and ridiculous to think otherwise?

[...]

I'd add you to the kill file, but I need to be able to see your useless
posts so I can advise people to ignore your suggestions when you provide
them.

--

----
[...]

lol,