Laptop Graphics Processor Comparison Chart

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Many people when buying Laptops are clueless as to the real capabilities of the built in graphics cards and as many know that Vga boards in Laptops are not really replaceable. Therefore, before making costly mistakes or regretting later, it is best that you know what you are buying. For this very reason folks at Adrian's Rojakpot have come up with an excellent guide covering over 40 mobile GPUs, this comprehensive comparison will allow you to easily compare 14 different specifications for each and every GPU!

Since this guide is to be updated on a regular basis (as per website info) it would be prudent to have this thread as a sticky for a short period of time.

The Mobile GPU Comparison Guide

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great find there Quad. I've got a 915 integrated graphics card on my laptop - and I can run Half Life 2 pretty well on it, can you believe it :eek:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes the information is very useful in the sense that one can get a very good idea of istalled graphics without having the need to test out a system for graphics before buying. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
drainedsoul said:
I lovin the laptop, i can hl2dm @ 1920x1200 without any frame-skips etc. Not bad eh?

Laptop screens do not have the capability to go that high, you must be referring to an attached monitors resolution. Besides, it does not make any sense your praising anything unless you also give the brand and model number. The information you provided in your post does not help anyone.:rolleyes:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
A 17" Laptop would look like a truck!! :D What happened to portablility? :confused:

drainedsoul: Please disregard my post earlier but do give us the details:D

Reaction score
my laptop, i love you laptop

lol calm down quad, i'm like a new eastenders, i'll give you a little bit each episode though i'm really annoying, you keep comin back to find out that little more.

Cost me a fair bit but its a dell xps LAPTOP and no, i believe i would know if i had an attached screen (no offense) and trust me, it isn't!

I have one of these trulight screens on the lappy, and the spec is as follows

Centrino 2.13
80 gig HDD
2 GB of RAM
standard sound card
Bluetooth - Wifi - Mem Card reader all the usual -
4.1 surround sound with a sub in the bottom
Some really annoying neon mutherf----rs that when i turned it on for the first time, swore my heart out!
A 17" (like x-black but dell version) screen that makes you go blind cos you cant read the damn font half the time (putting the res lower makes everything look really crap on the screen)
and of course......
GF7800 GTX PCI-E 16x

The damn thing weighs 4kg, and i had to spend 50 quid on a bag after market as i didnt realise the goddamn thing would NOT fit in my normal bag. To be honest, i had the choice between being portable like my old laptop, or play hl2dm/css/ss2/hl/rs3/mc2/mp2/bf2 etc whilst on the move, for an hour. the battery life is fantastic for the gadgets inside, even though my last lappy lasted a nice 6 hours at a time. I haven't touched my gaming pc in a month now, hence that one (when i have time) will be used purely for crunching.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't believe how powerful laptops are these days - even has a "mini-sub" in it! :eek: (I've seen those in the Dell 9100's, and its a bit better than normal but calling it a sub is a bit much ;)).

Very nice laptop there, although as you say it isn't really portable. Amazing specs though!

Reaction score
the speakers are great, better than alarm clock little radios, normal laptop speakers. its a 1W Sub at the bottom of the laptop, its funny to just spin the thing over and have a giggle. Specs are blistering, I seen one company put raid 0 across 2 hdds in a lappy with a p4 EE and the 7800 gtx......i've also seen the price of it.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well the way things are we will soon have a 6 KG Laptop which will be called a Desktop :D

Reaction score
I can't wait, laptops will not be for the faint-hearted no more. just imagine a dual processor laptop, with two 7800 GTX SLi, water cooling and no bigger than your average 17" widescreen laptop. As for weight, who cares?! I stopped doing lan parties when i finished mine, its as heavier than my 32" TUBE tv hehehehe.

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Well the way things are we will soon have a 6 KG Laptop which will be called a Desktop :D

Mine is about 3kg :(
But I don't feel so bad as it does have an AMD Athlon 64 processor with the Radeon 9600 mobility Graphics processor (it's also over 18 months old). Can't quite do the 1900x1200 mentioned earlier on this thread but I cope with the 1400x1050 it can handle (better than my works PC).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
My IBM Thinkpad T43 is 2.4 Kgs and I still think is very heavy :eek: But, I am also 47 so that should explain it :D

Reaction score
check out the high end sonys! u can get them down to 1.5kgs i believe! the vgn-S series is very light along with the T series. All very sexy, and very expensive.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My laptop is 1KG :eek: The screen is only 10 inches (maybe 12), its the Dell X1 - I'm in love with it :D

Had it for about 7 months now as I needed something to use for uni and to use whilst I'm traveling, and this was ideal - it just fits in my bag. The downsides? Its only a 1.1Ghz CPU with an Intel Integrated graphics chipset and no built in CD/DVD drive, however it can run HL2 at a playable level :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
drainedsoul,

I cannot consider a Laptop other than IBM, maybe Toshiba but, definitely not Sony. It is more a matter of personal preference than anything else. My requirement is not for a laptop with bells and wistles but a reliable laptop with top notch support. Once we did buy a $3,000 Sony Laptop for the office but were very dissapointed with what it had to offer. No comparision to an IBM workhorse like the T Series.

Reaction score
Ian - that runs hl2? NICE! I used to have the samsung Q10 which had similar specs and a docking station, but it was pretty and that was it.

Quad - i do agree with what your saying. The problem i found with sony was that they loaded all their software onto the laptop and it made the thing move slower than a horse being distracted by a teasing mare. I've worked with IBM T series and they're pretty damn reliable and easy to service compared to the likes of my Advent laptop (though its still good). Most laptops these days are just rebadged anyways. One brand that was always good (somewhat still good after the buy out) is compaq. They were the first ones to release anyways werent they?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
drainedsoul,

I think it was either Toshiba or IBM not sure really but with a bit of googling it can be found out. Will check this and let you know later.

Meanwhile, hop over to the link provided and post your comments, I want to know what your impressions are ;)

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2356791.php

Ask a Question