Laptop function (fn) key is awlays on

Reaction score
Laptop function (fn) key is always on

Hey guys just signed up to the forum today and already i have a problem. I have just recently purchased an Advent ERT2250 Laptop and the function (fn) key seems to be constantly on. This means i have to hold the fn key down so i am able to use some of the keys on the keyboard properly, if i dont hold the fn key down then other characters appear in its place, for example; the mjkluio keys appear as 0123456 unless fn is held down. I know it's supposed to be the other way around but it seems locked in this state. I have tried a format and put XP on the laptop but its still the same. I have checked the BIOS for any settings on the keyboard but none are listed. It was working fine earlier on and i cant think of anything i've done that would've changed this setting. Is there a certain command that switches the function key on/off like ctrl + alt + ? etc. Any help is more than appreciated.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Do you have the correct Drivers installed ... ?

Either that, or you have a 'faulty' keyboard. :thumb:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Excuse me for butting-in Mucks, but this problem is ringing a bell with me and I think it could be that Mick has unintentionally "toggled" to permanently activate the numeric keyboard, if so, it just needs to be toggled to de-activate it again.

If this is the case, Mick, you just need to press the "Num Lk" (that simply means Numbers Lock) key. But please note: on both of my laptops, the "Num Lk" keys are themselves "Fn" keys. If yours is too, then you will need to hold down the "Fn" key as you press the "Num Lk" key.

I hope that will help. but if not, back to you Mr Mucks :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Excuse me for butting-in Mucks, but this problem is ringing a bell with me and I think it could be that Mick has unintentionally "toggled" to permanently activate the numeric keyboard, if so, it just needs to be toggled to de-activate it again.

If this is the case, Mick, you just need to press the "Num Lk" (that simply means Numbers Lock) key. But please note: on both of my laptops, the "Num Lk" keys are themselves "Fn" keys. If yours is too, then you will need to hold down the "Fn" key as you press the "Num Lk" key.

No, please, any help from a laptop user is appreciated, I think you may have hit the nail on the head ... In Linux, on some Distro's / Laptops, you do indeed need to insure the Num Lock is off. :thumb:

Nicely spotted TC. :nod:

:user:

Reaction score
Hey peeps thanks for the replies, turns out it was to do with the Num Lock and fn keys being pressed together. Thanks again for the help, my gf is all happy her laptop is working again.

Reaction score
Well done guys TC - ur a *. I had this problem with Vista when the kids were using my account. Loxcked out my keys displaying alls orts of characters but the NUM Lk key worked.Obviously not a keyboard problem since other accounts were fine.
Thanks

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad we could be of help Dkanwar, and it's very kind of you to provide feedback :) Welcome to PC Review :wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian...? Whatever are you doing down there? You'll get housemaid's knee if you're not careful :lol:

Ask a Question