Laptop for 11 year old required £200 - £270 range

Reaction score
can anyone advise me as to the best laptop for an 11 year old?

i've been told to go for dual core, 2gb and vista premium - sound advice??

can you recommend a laptop aound the £200 - £270 range or would i be VASTLY better off spending a little more

we have wifi so it would need to be wifi compatible - which most probably are... i suppose

any help greatly appreciated

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Toshiba.

2Gb memory

Win XP

Dual core Intel.

Highest speed processor for the price

Biggest hard disk for the price.

Wi-Fi

DVDRW

AVOID ACER

If you can find those minimum requirements for under £300.00, you're doing well.

You may be able to, have a look here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
They both look ok to me except for one thing - they both offer Vista Home Premium and both only have 1Gb RAM.

Laptops will be sluggish running Vista with 1Gb memory, you need at least 2Gb to run Vista smoothly.

Which is why I recommended XP as an operating system.

However, thinking about it, XP is getting a bit long in the tooth now and on second thoughts maybe Vista would be a more sensible choice, as long as you get 2Gb memory.

I bought two Toshiba laptops for my twin daughters to use at Uni 15 months ago, both have Vista and 2Gb memory and both have been faultless for that time. I bought them from Laptops Direct, the site I linked to.

And the difference between those two you linked to? Dunno, without spending ages going over the specs ;) But a cursory glance at each seemed they were both ok, apart from memory.

Reaction score
Thanks, will dofinitely go for the 2gb, just need to shop around a bit - the microwarehouse was slightly cheaper than laptops direct, but i'd rather go with a company someone has used before

cheers
dramaqueen

twin daughters ! that must be hard work!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dramaqueen said:
twin daughters ! that must be hard work!

It was at the time ;)

And when they were born their elder sister was only 18 months old.

So we effectively had three babies in the house :eek:

Reaction score
Tesco's & Currys are selling laptops at £199 & £248 with Linux on them with either 8GB or 80GB HDD.
Suggest you have a look at Morgan Computers HERE OR Click HERE

Ask a Question