buying a dell laptop

Reaction score
ok I have been probing this forum for advice on buying a new computer before. Now I have decided to buy a laptop (because its convenient) from dell (because when I buy it through my university I get 20% reduction for precision and lattitude type laptops).
Im not going to do much exceptional with my computer, I like gaming but Im not a hi tech 3d rendering fetishist either so I suppose that wont be worth spending a lot of extra money on. Im mostly looking to use my laptop for my studies and possibly creating some content for flash or some programming. also I would like to be able to watch movies with it.
I think my favorite right now is this Dell Latitude D531 config, because there was an additional promotional reduction apparently (wich I assume/hope accumulates with the 20%):

Smart Value !!! Dell Latitude™ D531 Aantal 1 Latitude D531 AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Processor TL-60 (2,0 GHz), Legitieme Windows Vista® Business 32Bit with media - Dutch Prijs per eenheid € 1.163,00
Catalogusnummer: 282823 SVL5310182

Base Latitude D531 AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Processor TL-60 (2,0 GHz)

Besturingssysteem Legitieme Windows Vista® Business 32Bit with media - Dutch

Geheugen
4,0 GB, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM-geheugen (2 x 2.048 MB)

Toetsenbord
French - Internal Keyboard

Harde schijf 120 GB Seriële ATA harde schijf (5.400 rpm)

Modem Belgisch - Voor 56,6K/V92 geschikte interne modem & adapter

Optische stations 8x DVD+/- RW-station met Windows XP/Vista Home/Vista

Business-compatibele software

Draadloze connectiviteit Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11g-minikaart

Verzendingsdocumenten Euro - Verzendaccessoires en softwaredrivers
Microsoft-software Nederlands - Microsoft Office 2007 Basic

Standaardondersteuning 1 jaar Europese Collect & Return-service

CompleteCare CompleteCare meegeleverd in Standard & Premium Packs

Beveiligingssoftware
McAfee® Internet Security Suite™ - Beveiliging van 15 maanden - Engels

Voeding
65 W-wisselstroomadapter - 2-aderig

USB-geheugensticks 1 GB USB-geheugenpen van Amacom met Memory Bar-beveiligingssoftware

Bluetooth Interne Dell 360 Bluetooth™-kaart - Vista

Antidiefstal en Asset Tagging Asset-tag - Klantgegevens 1 (naam van klant, systeemtype, besturingssysteem, tagnummer)

Beveiligingsapparaten Noble NS20 Dual Head universele draaibare vergrendeling

Bestelgegevens Latitude Order - Belgium

Primaire Batterij 9-cel hoofdbatterij (85 W/h)

Draagtassen Dell-rugzak

Systeemmedia D531 XP - CD met hulpbronnen

Optische back-upmedia PowerDVD 7-mediaschijfkit - Vista-compatibel

LCD-scherm 15,4-inch WXGA+ True Life (resolutie van 1.440 x 900) TOTAAL :€ 1.163,00

sorry about the Dutch but I think the most important parts are clear... the total converts to about 872 pounds, on wich I will get a 20% reduction if I order through my university. this excludes shipping costs.
So that leaves us with about 700 pounds + about 50 pounds shipping costs.

ok a couple questions:

about the processor: I have found there are more expensive types where there are added some other values for instance on the latitude D831:
Module Beschrijving [font=arial,helvetica]Details bekijken[/font] Base Intel® Core™2 Duo T7500 (2,20 GHz, 4 MB, 800 MHz) met de Intel GMA X3100
laptops with these types of processors available always seem to come out about 200 euros (150pounds) more expensive. what does one gain from having those more expensive types? what do the other values (after 2,2 GHz) mean? I think I could afford to throw in the extra money if its really worth it.

about the memory: is it worth the extra money to get 2x2gig memory? how about the speed?

about the harddrive: what is important except the space and the revolutions thing (I suppose this influences how fast it can be read?). will some types be fragile for use in a laptop?

about internet connection: where it says "modem": is that a cable modem? what about the wireles ("draadloos") connection, do I need to buy somethign that will "broadcast" to my wireless component? I am completely inexperienced with wireless connection

about guarantees etc... is it reasonably nexessary to get some kind of anti theft and or accidental damage protection of guarantee? I have considered taking my laptop to class to take notes with it.

and wich is best for antivirus protection: Norton or McAfee?

if anyone has any other suggestions about components I might be wanting to use instead, thats always very welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows Vista 32Bit does not need 4GB RAM.
4GB would be fine with a 64Bit version but not with 32.:thumb:

Reaction score
4 gig on vista 32bit completely useles??

oh I see... do you mean that if I would take 4gig on a computer on wich I would install windows vista 32 bit, that extra 2 gig would just be sitting there?? wouldnt it pay off even at times I would run for instance a whole bunch of programmes? wouldnt I sooner get in trouble with 2 gig than 4? or does a comp with vista 32bit simply not use it ever? can you explain to me how this works please?

Reaction score
32bit operating system will only see up to 3GB RAM.
64bit operating system will see over 3GB ie: in this case 4GB
You can run Vista 32bit with 2GB which would be fine to do.
Having anything over 3GB whilst with a 32bit O/S would not benefit & wil not be seen by the PC.
It could cause you to have problems if your running a 32bit O/S with 4GB RAM!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
For anti-virus go for something like AVAST , its very good in my opinion and it updates all the time and is free .

Laptop hard drives are specialy designed for mobile use they are all pretty much the same in regards to wear and tear .

Thats a cable conection modem so you would need to obtain a add-on wireless modem card for wireless use .

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
32bit operating system will only see up to 3GB RAM.
64bit operating system will see over 3GB ie: in this case 4GB
You can run Vista 32bit with 2GB which would be fine to do.
Having anything over 3GB whilst with a 32bit O/S would not benefit & will not be seen by the PC.
It could cause you to have problems if your running a 32bit O/S with 4GB RAM!
No sorry, wrong ...

Vista 32bit can see and use all 4Gb ram and there is no problems ... you just will get annoyed that it reports only 3gig to 3.5gig as being available.

Without once again going into the nitty-gritty, do a search on the forums, you wanna use 4Gb, fine, but be aware you will only see up to 3.5Gb reported as being available to the system.

Vista 32Bit really is OK on 2Gb ram.

:user:

Ask a Question