Laptop Advice Needed Please

Reaction score
Hi, I'm knew here and am hoping to get some advice on laptops. I'm intending to buy a laptop in the coming weeks and want some advice on what to get and where from. I am looking to spend roughly £1,900 on a decent gaming laptop, though am flexible if necessary. I'd prefer a 17" screen and would also prefer an AMD 64 processor as from everything I've read they far surpass all pentium equivalents.

I have had a look around at the well-known companies and, so far, the most suitable laptop I have found is one made by Mesh (Alienware offer some good gaming laptops too, but they're ridiculously overpriced). The Mesh laptop I have in mind at the moment is this one:

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?KEY=67996&PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCThttp://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...ODUCT&KEY=67996

So, do you think this is a good deal? Any advice on where I could find a better one (in the UK)?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Oops, sorry; fixed the link.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately that link doesn't work as it has been copied and pasted - can you try again please?

Try checking out some of the Dell XPS series laptops too, as they are definitely worth a look :)

Reaction score
mesh

Hi & Welcome to PCReview
happywave.gif

Suggest you do a search for threads on Mesh Computers once you have read the various threads on mesh you may decide to choose someone else instead, Go to the retailers thread to read more on this subject.:thumb:

Try www.rockdirect.com who make great laptops:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fixed the link. I've looked at Dell but the problem with their laptops is: 1. Dell refueses to use AMD processors, and 2. their laptops are more expensive than their Mesh equivalents.

Reaction score
greenlectern said:
Fixed the link. I've looked at Dell but the problem with their laptops is: 1. Dell refueses to use AMD processors, and 2. their laptops are more expensive than their Mesh equivalents.
I understand that situation, but you should look at the mesh threads to get a balanaced view. Also look at rockdirect, they make very good laptops that work well & are reliable, others may not be so.

Have a look at http://www.rockdirect.com/rockshop/shophome.php?itemprcd=X64-4400-PRO

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rockdirect:thumb:
A friend is on his 2nd of their's they make good, solid laptops.
My only concern with your choice is dual-core, which at times has a problem with dissipation of the heat that build up within a laptop of these specs.

Reaction score
Murdoch, thanks for your advice about Mesh. I just read about them and that, coupled with the fact that my brother has a Mesh laptop and he's had multiple problems with it too (I figured it was just a one-off - I didn't know dissatisfaction with Mesh was widespread), has convinced not to buy a Mesh.

I must say, Rockdirect looks really impressive and their prices are even cheaper! I am now looking at this beauty, upgraded to 2GBs of RAM:

http://www.rockdirect.com/rockshop/shophome.php?itemprcd=X64-4800

It's just a shame that it doesn't offer Windows Media Centre as an OS as I was looking forward to using a remote control to watch tv and play music on my laptop.

How reliable are Rockdirect known to be? How do you think this laptop looks? And can anyone tell me anything about the AMD Turion - I assume it's inferior to the AMD Athlon 64, but I know nothing about it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well i know of someone who's was dropped & also jumped on and it still worked, ok the screen was smashed, but it booted up all ok;) Have a look at the AMD website at www.amd.com and look at the products section for for the Turion64's.

I really dont think Windows Media Centre is all it's hyped up to be.
But when you decide which one you are going to buy post back so we know the outcome:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
greenlectern said:
And can anyone tell me anything about the AMD Turion - I assume it's inferior to the AMD Athlon 64, but I know nothing about it.

Thanks
They are specifically designed for Laptop/Notebooks ... very low power consumption ... they will have less on-board cache that the desktop counterpart, but you won't notice the difference.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_13909,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_13909_13913,00.html

;)

Reaction score
Hmm... now I'm having a hard time trying to decide between these two:

1. Xtreme SL AMD ML-44 :
http://www.rockdirect.com/rockshop/shophome.php?itemprcd=XSL-ML44
Pros: Better designed, slimmer, more modern exterior; twin NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX 256MB graphics cards
Cons: I don't think the AMD Turion 64 ML-44 (2.4GHz) is as powerful as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (though correct me if I'm wrong); 19" screen is probably a little bit too large; only 100GB harddrive; more expensive (costing £2,124 once the 2GB of RAM have been added )

2. Xtreme 64 4800+ :
http://www.rockdirect.com/rockshop/shophome.php?itemprcd=X64-4800
Pros: 17" screen; better processor (I think); 200GB harddrive; cheaper (costing £1,824 once 2GB of RAM have been added)
Cons: Quite bulky case design; only has one NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX 256MB

What do you guys think I should go for? Which do you think is the all-round better laptop?

P.S. Never mind about the fact that I won't have Windows Media Centre... I've downloaded Windows Vista beta 2 64 bit edition and will use that instead :)

Reaction score
windows beta

To be very honest i would never buy a laptop with the specs your looking at, instead it would be a normal desktop style pc! But each to their own, as for Windows Beta 64 bit Version, i would stay well clear of it. Beta = Testing, it's got more bugs in it than a bbc wildlife programe:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Well, I would like a gaming PC, but since I'm going to uni in September I need to be able to transport it there and back, so I decided to get a gaming laptop instead. :D

Couple more questions though:
1. If in the future I want to upgarde my laptop, do you know if it will be possible to do so (e.g. any idea if it will be capable of supporting more RAM, a better GPU, or an FX-60 (the next processor up)?
2. Should I choose 'RAID 0', 'RAID 1', or 'Separate Disks' for my hard drive configuration?
3. Any idea whether a Windows XP installation disk will be bundled with the laptop?
4. Are there any advantages in choosing Windows Professional over Home for a laptop (apart from added security)?

Thanks in advance

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
greenlectern said:
Couple more questions though:
1. If in the future I want to upgarde my laptop, do you know if it will be possible to do so (e.g. any idea if it will be capable of supporting more RAM, a better GPU, or an FX-60 (the next processor up)?

Ask the supplier. But even if it is capable of handling an upgrade, I've just read that AMD have stopped manufacturing some Socket 939 CPU's already and it looks as though they'll concentrate on AM2 CPU's from now on.

2. Should I choose 'RAID 0', 'RAID 1', or 'Separate Disks' for my hard drive configuration?

Go for seperate disks, I wouldn't favour RAID 0 on a laptop and RAID 1 isn't worth having by itself for the cost, it's purely constant backup.

3. Any idea whether a Windows XP installation disk will be bundled with the laptop?

Ask the supplier. It is VERY desirable though.

4. Are there any advantages in choosing Windows Professional over Home for a laptop (apart from added security)?

Thanks in advance

Not much. XP Pro's main advantages are on the networking side. If you're not networking, don't bother. As for security, there are enough free software programs available online to keep you reasonably protected.

Reaction score
I would go for:
1. A quick cpu
2. As much RAM as possible
3 Plenty of HDD space
4. Decent graphics

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you guys for helping me decide what kind of laptop to buy; especially in persuading me not to go for Mesh, but instead to buy from Rockdirect. Someone asked me to post back here what laptop I eventually decided upon; I chose the Xtreme 64 FX60 from Rock - I ordered it yesterday and here are its specs:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60
2GB DDR 400MHz RAM
200GB (2 x 100GB 7200rpm) HDD (RAID 0 for increased performance)
17” WUXGA X-Glass TFT Screen (1920 x 1200 resolution)
PCI Express nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX Graphics
Internal Digital DVB-T TV Tuner
8 x DVD Dual Layer (+/-) Writer
Integrated Wireless 802.11g/b LAN
7.1 Surround Sound Output
Bluetooth & 7-in-1 Card Reader
Built-in 1 Megapixel Video Camera
2 x Firewire / 4 x USB 2.0 & DVI Port
Microsoft® Works 8 & BullGuard Antivirus
Carry Case
3yr Collect & Return Warranty
30-day Zero Dead Pixel Guarantee

I cost me a hefty sum and I'm now all but bankrupt! lol! But I'm sure it was worth it! I can't wait for its arrival!!

Cheers,

James

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
woot! :)

Looks superb.

If you got time, let us know how you get on with it, this would serve as a guide for Rockdirect.

Hope that machine serves you well.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Can I just state, we did not 'persuade you not to go for Mesh' - we merely pointed you to available information in order to make your own informed decision ;)

As regards the Lappy - sure looks a powerful beast! - one thing you need to be aware of is that by having the 2 HD's in Raid 0, if one crashes you will lose everything.

Oh, and bin the Bullguard AV - its not great - either pay for Kaspersky or use AntiVir(free).

:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
very nice, just dont put it on your lap or there will be roasted nuts ;)

Ask a Question