Windows XP Language Selection at Logon Screen

Reaction score
I recently used a friends PC with XP SP3. At the log on screen after I selected a User Account windows came up with a screen with icons of different countries, and the message "Click on the desired language."
Living in a multinational household, this would be an invaluble tool for us.

Does anybody Know what this application is and how to activate it.

Thanks in advance.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

To add multiple input languages to the Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 logon prompt dialog, you need to assign the input languages to the machine’s “default user profile”. Here is how to do this.
(note: you must either be an administrator for this computer or at least have administrator rights)

Go to Start / Control Panel / Regional and Language Options

Make sure that all the input languages that you want are installed. If you are not sure how to do this, see Enabling International Support in Windows XP/Server 2003 Family

Once you have all the input languages installed, click on the “Advanced” tab (as illustrated below) of the Regional and Language Options property sheet.

DrIntl21_001.jpg

Now select the check box under “Default user account settings”

DrIntl21_002.jpg

The following “Change Default User Settings” dialog box will appear. Click the “OK” button in the “Change Default User Settings” dialog to continue.

DrIntl21_003.jpg

Now click “OK” to apply your changes.

The next time you get the “Login” dialog it will have a language indicator in the lower left-hand corner of the dialog. You can change this to the language you want by pressing the Left Alt + Shift keys.

Note: To take out the language indicator from the “Login” dialog box, one must remove all the installed input language services and then again select the “Apply all settings…” box in the “Default user account settings.”

www.microsoft.com

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/goglobal/bb895996.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/goglobal/bb964663.aspx

:user:

Ask a Question