labels & envelopes

I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am trying
to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a
custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time on
a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print them
directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
Thanks for your help.

Phil Weldon

'trica63' wrote, in part:
| I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am
trying
| to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a
| custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time
on
| a postcard
_____

First you have to have a printer than can feed postcard weight and size
material.
After that it is easy, and depends entirely on what software you have. If
you have Microsoft Word, use the 'Mail Merge Helper': search in 'Help' for
[ mailing ].

Phil Weldon

| I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am
trying
| to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a
| custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time
on
| a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print them
| directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
| Thanks for your help.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Please visit the Works experts in the Works newsgroup:
OE client
Web Client
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgr...c=en-us--===========================TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006===========================http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm"Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527"trica63" <[email protected]> wrote in messagehave a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am trying| to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a| custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time on| a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print them| directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.| Thanks for your help.

Hi Phil. I have the printer that will work, but that was the easy part! I
have tried the mail merge and can't get it to work. In step 3 of the mail
merge wizard, it asks for a data source to connect to and I have no idea what
to do from there. Then it asks me to pick a "remote data source" to connect
to. Thats where I am having the problem.

Phil Weldon

'trica63' wrote, in part:
| Hi Phil. I have the printer that will work, but that was the easy part! I
| have tried the mail merge and can't get it to work. In step 3 of the mail
| merge wizard, it asks for a data source to connect to and I have no idea
what
| to do from there.
_____

Your question is not really Windows XP related; it is a Microsoft Office or
Microsoft Word question.
Just guessing that you have some version of Microsoft Word, but the 'Help'
menu in Word should get you started.
The 'data source' is your list of mailing addresses. Unless you are on a
network, you won't have a 'remote data source.'

You can also just format your list of address in Word with a custom paper
size (the size of your postcard) and edit your file to have just one address
per page, properly placed for the postcard.

Phil Weldon

| Hi Phil. I have the printer that will work, but that was the easy part! I
| have tried the mail merge and can't get it to work. In step 3 of the mail
| merge wizard, it asks for a data source to connect to and I have no idea
what
| to do from there. Then it asks me to pick a "remote data source" to
connect
| to. Thats where I am having the problem.
|

| "Phil Weldon" wrote:
|
| > 'trica63' wrote, in part:
| > | I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am
| > trying
| > | to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope
with a
| > | custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a
time
| > on
| > | a postcard
| > _____
| >
| > First you have to have a printer than can feed postcard weight and size
| > material.
| > After that it is easy, and depends entirely on what software you have.
If
| > you have Microsoft Word, use the 'Mail Merge Helper': search in 'Help'
for
| > [ mailing ].
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > trying
| > | to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope
with a
| > | custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a
time
| > on
| > | a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print
them
| > | directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
| > | Thanks for your help.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

The remote data source that is referred to is the file that contains the addresses that you wish to use. This can be an Excel, Access or Word file. If it is a Word file, the addresses must be properly formatted and placed in Tables.

At the top right of the Word screen there is a Help box. Type data source and press ENTER. This will show the information that you need to make the mail merge work properly.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

_____

First you have to have a printer than can feed postcard weight and size
material.
After that it is easy, and depends entirely on what software you have. If
you have Microsoft Word, use the 'Mail Merge Helper': search in 'Help' for
[ mailing ].

Phil Weldon

| I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am
trying
| to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a
| custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time
on
| a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print them
| directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
| Thanks for your help.

Thanks for you help, but I don't think this is going to work. I have my file
saved in Works 2004 as a .doc file, and my Word is 2002 and it must not be
formatted right or something. When I do the mail merge thing, its all
jumbled.
Thanks for trying.

_____

First you have to have a printer than can feed postcard weight and size
material.
After that it is easy, and depends entirely on what software you have. If
you have Microsoft Word, use the 'Mail Merge Helper': search in 'Help' for
[ mailing ].

Phil Weldon

| I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I am
trying
| to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope with a
| custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at a time
on
| a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to print them
| directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
| Thanks for your help.

I know it is Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word related, but I did not see a
category for that and since I am using XP Media Center, I thought maybe
someone here could help me.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

There are in fact MS Word and Office newsgroups.

_____

Your question is not really Windows XP related; it is a Microsoft Office
or
Microsoft Word question.
Just guessing that you have some version of Microsoft Word, but the
'Help'
menu in Word should get you started.
The 'data source' is your list of mailing addresses. Unless you are on a
network, you won't have a 'remote data source.'

You can also just format your list of address in Word with a custom paper
size (the size of your postcard) and edit your file to have just one
address
per page, properly placed for the postcard.

Phil Weldon

| Hi Phil. I have the printer that will work, but that was the easy part!
| have tried the mail merge and can't get it to work. In step 3 of the
mail
| merge wizard, it asks for a data source to connect to and I have no
idea
what
| to do from there. Then it asks me to pick a "remote data source" to
connect
| to. Thats where I am having the problem.
|

| "Phil Weldon" wrote:
|
| > 'trica63' wrote, in part:
| > | I have a list of addresses in a .doc file in Works labels. What I
am
| > trying
| > | to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope
with a
| > | custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at
time
| > on
| > | a postcard
| > _____
| >
| > First you have to have a printer than can feed postcard weight and
size
| > material.
| > After that it is easy, and depends entirely on what software you
have.
If
| > you have Microsoft Word, use the 'Mail Merge Helper': search in
'Help'
for
| > [ mailing ].
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > trying
| > | to do is print those addresses onto a post card using the envelope
with a
| > | custom size. Can anyone tell me how to print those addresses one at
time
| > on
| > | a postcard? I have approximately 500 addresses and am trying to
print
them
| > | directly onto the post card instead of sheets of address labels.
| > | Thanks for your help.

Malke

trica63 said:
Thanks for you help, but I don't think this is going to work. I have
my file saved in Works 2004 as a .doc file, and my Word is 2002 and it
must not be formatted right or something. When I do the mail merge
thing, its all jumbled.
Thanks for trying.

Take your question to the Works newsgroup. Here is a list of all the MS
newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Another thing to consider - and I don't know if they have this for Works
or not - is to do some looking around on Microsoft's Office and/or
Works website. There are excellent training videos available. For
instance, I wanted to do a mail merge of addresses in an Excel
worksheet with MS Word to print mailing labels and I wasn't sure how to
do it. There was a training video that you could watch and work along
with that took me through the process step-by-step. Even if there isn't
exactly the same one for Works, you could see how to do a mail merge in
Word and possibly apply that information to Works.

The people in the Works newsgroup will know for sure.

Malke