Keyboard alternative to 'break'

D

David

High, I've got a new Dell Studio laptop
No sign of the 'Break' key anywhere! (primary or secondary key function)
Is there an alternative key sequence that I could use?
Thanks

D

David

I usually find 'Break' is a second function on the 'Pause' key on laptops but
with the Studio there is no pause key either!
There must be (I hope) some other combo that will give me a 'Ctrl + Break'?

D

David

OK, got it, Ctrl + Alt + Esc does the trick

David said:
I usually find 'Break' is a second function on the 'Pause' key on laptops but
with the Studio there is no pause key either!
There must be (I hope) some other combo that will give me a 'Ctrl + Break'?

Reaction score
@david

I have Dell Studio-15 laptop...
Can u just tell me how to check the functionality of pause/brake key on windows vista.
I tried with Ctrl+Alt+Esc .. but cudnt get the result.

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
no CTRL-BREAK

I have same issue.... can not find key sequence to 'break' code execution

anyone? anyone?

Reaction score
Solution Found!

Hey Guys,

If you still haven't found the "Break" key yet on your Dell Laptop, here's the Solution

Actually its Function Key + F6....

For example, if I need to use Ctrl+Alt+Break,
then I need to press Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F6

Reaction score
On my Dell Vostro 1520, I find that the pause button functions as the break key -- that is Fn-F12. So to get a ctrl-alt-break to full-size Remote Desktop you need ctrl-alt-FN-F12.

Reaction score
mine is a dell latitude E6240. This worked for me:)

Ctrl + Alt + Fn + Pause (which is the Insert button) to make the remote desktop as one of the window and the same key combination to make it full screen.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem - My DELL Vostro 3550 has no Pause/Break key ... but I need one in order to operate the software that we wrtie correctly.
Eventually I managed to get this working by adding a new KEY to the Registry. (I am running Win7 Professional)
1) clcik the START, then type REGEDIT into the search box. This will start the registry editor.
2) Explore the Registry, expanding each element
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-SYSTEM
-Current Control Set
- Control
- Keyboard Layout

Click on the Scancode Map, and EDIT the key values to match that shown below.
i.e. to have values of : 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,46,e0,44,00,00,00,00,00

Once Done you will need to re-boot your laptop, but after that you can use <Ctrl><F10> as the pause/Break Key.

(Option)
If you want you can copy/Paste the text below into a *.txt file.
Save the file onto your desktop and rename as New_Reg_Key.reg because of the *.reg extension you can then double_click the file to add the new registry key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,46,e0,44,00,00,00,00,00

I hope this is some use to others. :)

Reaction score
Had this problem on a Dell Latitude e5540 running Windows 10 recently. I found that the solution on the physical keyboard was to find the key combo for Pause ( Fn + Insert ) and then add CTRL to this key combo as suggested by others above.

I didn't try this first, however. Originally, I opened the on-screen keyboard, OSK (Windows key/Run, type in "osk" in the run box). There was a Pause key that did pause my process, but CTRL + Pause did not break it. I found CTRL + scrLK (scroll lock?) did. This was inspired by a wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_key in the “modern keyboards” section of the article where they suggested CTRL + Scroll Lock as a Break key, so this might be a fairly generic solution to try.

Also remember that the window running the process you are trying to stop must be in the forefront i.e. the active window when you are testing these key combos or you might miss the solution.

hope this helps

Ask a Question