Keep profile when re-joining domain

I had to rebuild a the PDC 2000 server in my network due to a hardware
failure. This was the only server in the domain. Now I have an issue with the
local work stations profiles when re-joining the domain.

The workstations are XP. In the past when I was dealing with profiles I knew
that you could copy them but the option to copy the "old" profiles seems to
be disabled in XP. What I would like is a work around somhow to keep the
profiles on these workstations in tact while joining the domain again.

Maybe there is a way to create the computer account and just have the work
stations just activate into that account again with out destroying the
profiles?

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

moismoje said:
I had to rebuild a the PDC 2000 server in my network due to a hardware
failure. This was the only server in the domain. Now I have an issue with the
local work stations profiles when re-joining the domain.

The workstations are XP. In the past when I was dealing with profiles I knew
that you could copy them but the option to copy the "old" profiles seems to
be disabled in XP. What I would like is a work around somhow to keep the
profiles on these workstations in tact while joining the domain again.

Maybe there is a way to create the computer account and just have the work
stations just activate into that account again with out destroying the
profiles?
Hi,

In WinXP, you cannot copy the profile of the user you are currently logged in as, that
is why the "Copy To" button is gray. You need to log in with another user (e.g. the
built-in Administrator user) to be able to copy the profile.

Also note this one:

Availability of the CopyProfile command-line tool to copy a Windows user
profile on a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based computer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...96-f3a6-4fdd-862b-1ae03dc130c1&DisplayLang=en

I solve this profile "restore" another way though:

I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
needs to log on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D$NPCHA.612@tkmsftngp08

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Re: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory