KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

Kristan M. Kenney [MVP]

Just a heads up, I've noticed on a lot of systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Vista, multiple SKU's) that KB941600 causes SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to
report the following:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them."

I've reviewed the CBS.log file in accordance to KB928228 and KB929833, and
CBS.log reports that there are no corrupted files. I have also spoken with a
Microsoft Technical Support Professional in regards to this issue for about 6
hours and the only solution is to not install this hotfix (which provides a
baseline quality level for the USB Core Components in Windows Vista).

My question is this- why does this hotfix cause Windows system state
corruption, and is there any other known workarounds for this issue? Also,
has anyone else noticed this behavior after installing KB941600?

Thanks for your time and have a great day,

Kristan M. Kenney
Microsoft MVP [Windows - Shell/User]

Peter

I just ran sfc /scannow and got the same result at 98% complete. Despite
being an Administrator I had to replace ownership with my own name to read
cbs.log and cbs.persist.log will this cause any problems?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Kristen,
Send me the cbs.log file as well as the cbs.persist.log file
Zip them up before sending.
Remove the word "online" from the psted email address before sending
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc3RhbiBNLiBLZW5uZXkgW01WUF0=?=
<[email protected]>
|> Subject: KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow
|> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:48:00 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> Just a heads up, I've noticed on a lot of systems (both 32-bit and
64-bit
|> Windows Vista, multiple SKU's) that KB941600 causes SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to
|> report the following:
|>
|> "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
some
|> of them."
|>
|> I've reviewed the CBS.log file in accordance to KB928228 and KB929833,
and
|> CBS.log reports that there are no corrupted files. I have also spoken
with a
|> Microsoft Technical Support Professional in regards to this issue for
about 6
|> hours and the only solution is to not install this hotfix (which
provides a
|> baseline quality level for the USB Core Components in Windows Vista).
|>
|> My question is this- why does this hotfix cause Windows system state
|> corruption, and is there any other known workarounds for this issue?
Also,
|> has anyone else noticed this behavior after installing KB941600?
|>
|> Thanks for your time and have a great day,
|>
|> --
|> Regards,
|> Kristan M. Kenney
|> Microsoft MVP [Windows - Shell/User]
|>
|> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

ghrad

Kristan -

I received almost the same message . . . albeit my message reads as follows:
"Verification is 99% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt
files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs|CBS\CBS.log" As was the
case with other individuals, I was prevented from reading the log.

Doesn't seem to affect anything, but has MS been able to resolve this issue?

Geoffrey

HMT

The easiest way to access/read the cbs.log file is to simply copy/paste it
into another folder like My Documents. The copy will have no restrictions to
open. You may have to click the Continue button to provide administrator
permission to copy after the Paste command. Works great, but be prepared to
see several entries not covered by the Microsoft KB articles on how to
interpret it.

HMT

Kristan M. Kenney said:
[...]

Mark@Peterborough

I am getting the same message but don't know if it is valid. Can anyone tell
me how to verify the CBS.log file contains no real errors? There are many
sections stating POQ Start: and POQ Ends with summary information at the end
of each such as:
POQ 73 ends.
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d6 [SR] Verify
complete
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d7 [SR] Verifying
100 (0x0000000000000064) components
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d8 [SR] Beginning
Verify and Repair transaction
2008-03-28 08:00:51, Info CSI 000001d9 Repair results
created:

Thanks Mark.

Benjamin

Hi Kristan, I am tryin to install vista SP1 on my computer, but it does not
complete installation, it reurns with error report "Installation was not
successful" and a link to microsoft's site where there are five resolutions
to the problem. I have tried all 5, but number 3 seems to be d only 1 wit a
negative response, which is the cmd sfc /scannow, it returns wit the message
u stated below "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was
unable to fix some
of them." all others return positive results.... I had to change the security settings to my name to read d message, its loads of junk, I dnt understand anytin in there.....
and I also notice I have got the KB941600 on my system but not d other 2,
again my USB ports are not recognising any usb devices, I have tried lots of
solutions I hav read but no one seems to work for me, do u think uninstalling
the KB941600 would stop the error message of "corrupt files" from comin up
after the system scan and allow vista SP1 to install?? and do u hav any idea
on what I should do about d USB ports?? Help me plz, I dnt kno what 2 do....

Benjamin...

Kristan M. Kenney said:
[...]

Chris Blunt

Kristan M. Kenney said:
[...]

rights. > >
Hello everyone,
One of the MVPs said once,and I read that, that he has yet to see a sfc
run wihout reporting corrupted files after the completion. I have that
myself, and so far I have no problem using the computer, so why worry ?
BY THE WAY, my sfc run was 100% complete. To those with less than 100%,
you might Really have a problem.

I have two systems, a desktop running Windows Vista Ultimate, and a
laptop running Window Vista Business. Both have KB941600 installed.
The laptop runs sfc.exe /scannow and completes with no errors, but the
desktop reports corrupted files which cannot be repaired.

Chris

floydlawson

Kristan M. Kenney said:
[...]

From command prompt: chkdsk /R

restart and let it complete, it will take a while but should repair
the disk errors.

after restarting again, try SP1

hope it helps

Tinkerer

Hi there,
I am installing Vista SP1 for the last 2 weeks it seems. By now am with the
fifth or sixth MS technician via e-mail and phone. Presently the case is
refered to the 'Global Research Team' , indeed.
To the sfc /scannow the following is true in my application.

After one of the failed attempts to install SP1 I applied the test and got
the result you all describe '...corrupt files can't repair some of them..'

After a clean install of Vista x64, i.e. formating the HD and before
installing anything else, no updates, drivers etc. I still got the same error
with the sfc /scannow test.

Since my install was on Raid 0, I went back to a single drive installation
and tried a clean install with each drive individually and on top of that
with each of my two installation disks.
Each time the same 'corrupt files.. can't repair. comment at sfc /scannow.

I am expecting a call back from the MS technician after consulting with the
'Global Research Team' after about 48 hours from this post. ' As if'!

Please note that this issue appears without ANY KB...... updates installed.

Let me know if you find a fix.

Karl

Kristan M. Kenney said:
[...]

From command prompt: chkdsk /R

restart and let it complete, it will take a while but should repair
the disk errors.

after restarting again, try SP1

hope it helps

nyred

Hi:
Thanks for IDing the problem. However, what is the solution? If Windows
Resource Protection found corrupt files but is unable to fix them--where do I
go from here. Not a developer...just a regular user. XP never gave me
problems. Vista and IE 8--nightmare. Tried other fixes for "webpage cannot be
displayed,"Message: Unexpected call to method or property access.
Line: 264
Char: 5
Code: 0
URI: res://ieframe.dll/httpErrorPagesScripts.js" What does that mean in
lay terms? How can it be fixed?

Thanks.

OneVerse

Have you tried chkdsk /r /x ? I had the same problem and ran chkdsk and it
seemed to get rid of any SFC.exe error message. It seems to be helpful to
run SFC.exe /scannow in a Safe Mode command prompt window. When that's done,
if you see an error message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files
but was unable to fix some of them," then run CHKDSK /r /x from right there
at the command prompt and answer "Y" to the question about running at boot
time. After that, run SFC again and hopefully you will see no error message
as happend for me.

Best of luck,
Mike