Just got my Dell XPS laptop

Reaction score
I just recieved my new shiny laptop!

Like all consumer laptops, it comes with a lot of Bloatware.

Basically I need to know what to uninstall because I went to the add or remove programs tab and there is a lot of shite I doubt I will need...

I have 5 CD's that came with the laptop - these are:

Operating System
Drivers and Utilities

(these two I assume I will need again!)

Dell Webacam Manager (Assume il need to use the webcam)

Application (Media Direct 3.5)(Doubt il need to reinstall this)
Microsoft Works (Doubt il need this!)

Whats the easiest way to reformat the HD? Just whack in the OS CD? I have things like a fingerprint reader, this will still work if i were to reformat right?

Cheers!
Geo

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Whats the easiest way to reformat the HD? Just whack in the OS CD? I have things like a fingerprint reader, this will still work if i were to reformat right?

Cheers!
Geo

How big is the HDD..? Work out how much space the bloatwear is and what percentage of the HDD is it actually taking up..Why reformat..? If the machine is running Vista, it might have been built for Vista and you might struggle to find drivers for XP..
Reformatting will void your warrenty..Leave it how you bought it.Seriously if you want to reformat it then you clearly bougt the wrong laptop...Enough said..

Reaction score
Im not planning on going back to XP, I plan to stay with Vista!

I dont really need to reformat it, but ANY consumer laptop you buy comes loaded with some bloatware ... the family laptop which is a Sony came with even more on it! And I just read that reformatting the thing will get rid of any unwanted bits and bobs!

When i get it up and running il send in a screenshot of my programs, and you guys and girls can tell me what I do and don't need :)

Reaction score
And it's little things, like whether or not to uninstall Dell Quickset :S

Reaction score
I just cleared out a load of bloatware, didnt bother with the reformat!

Pictures coming up :p

Reaction score
Pics! :D

And there you have it, my new laptop ... I'll post some screenies of my desktop later, not there is much to see but their is an application installed that is really sweet!

Reaction score
wow very very nice so beautiful!!! Keyboard looks like it is from Amiga 500.

do you sleep with it then? :_)

Reaction score
The keyboard feels like a desktops keyboard if you get what I mean, you actually have to tap the keys rather than slightly touch them. It's hard to explain but I hope ya get the drift of what I am saying lol!

There's a lot of small features that make even cooler, fingerprint reader and touch controls spring to mind :)

I would sleep with it, I have a feeling the gf would get jealous though! lol

Ask a Question