jumping cursor

fidelco foster

When I am typing a sentence in Word, half way through a sentence, the cursor
will jump to a different place in the text. If I don't immediately notice
it, I have to back off the misplaced letters, scroll down to where I was and
continue typing. It is driving me nuts. I have Word 2007, and a laptop
with a wireless mouse and keyboard therefore I am not brushing the touchpad
with my fingers. Others have written about this and one suggestion was to
disable the touchpad. I have gone to Control Panel and cannot find any place
to disable the touchpad. Another thought was to disable the Speech
Recognition which I don't find either. I don't know whether it is enabled or
not. I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505 laptop.

Thanks for any help you might offer. Fidelco Foster

grammatim

When I am typing a sentence in Word, half way through a sentence, the cursor
will jump to a different place in the text.  If I don't immediately notice
it, I have to back off the misplaced letters, scroll down to where I was and
continue typing.  It is driving me nuts.   I have Word 2007, and a laptop
with a wireless mouse and keyboard therefore I am not brushing the touchpad
with my fingers.  Others have written about this and one suggestion was to
disable the touchpad.  I have gone to Control Panel and cannot find any place
to disable the touchpad.  Another thought was to disable the Speech
Recognition which I don't find either.  I don't know whether it is enabled or
not.  I have a Dell Inspiron E 1505 laptop.

Thanks for any help you might offer.  Fidelco Foster

Try Dell's tech support too?

Graham Mayor

The touchpad you will probably have to disable in the BIOS (often accessed
by pressing DEL whilst booting)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

JoAnn Paules

Try turning off your microphone. (Seriously. If the voice recognition is
turned on, sounds/noises can be misinterpreted as commands.)

fidelco foster

Thank you. That is a new approach. I do not have a microphone. I may have
speech recognition (tied in to a microphone?) which someone mentioned but if
I do, I did not enable it. If it is enabled, I don't know how to disable it.

I know nothing about BIOS and hitting DEL while booting to bypass the
touchpad on the laptop. I can visualize smoke pouring out of the machine if I
tried that. Obviously, I am not tech savvy.
I thought it might have something to do with the speed of the cursor as I
type fast - cursor not being able to keep up?
Anyway, I very much appreciate eveyone attempting to help.
Fidelco Foster

JoAnn Paules said:
Try turning off your microphone. (Seriously. If the voice recognition is
turned on, sounds/noises can be misinterpreted as commands.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

fidelco foster said:
[...]

Turning off a microphone is less risky than messing with the BIOS.

Are you using Windows XP or Vista?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules said:
Try turning off your microphone. (Seriously. If the voice recognition is
turned on, sounds/noises can be misinterpreted as commands.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

message
[...]

Windows XP Pro Thanks

JoAnn Paules said:
[...]

It may vary but try this: (My system is running Vista so this was copied
from a website I found)

Start-Control Panel-

Adjust the system volume ->

In the Device volume area in the middle of the Volume tab, click on
Advanced. I know, I know, it looks like you are adjusting speaker volume,
but go ahead and do it.

If the microphone doesn’t show up as one of the devices, select the menu
item Options->Properties and put a check in the Microphone box.

In the microphone sub-panel, put a check in the Mute box.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

fidelco foster said:
Windows XP Pro Thanks

:

[...]

Hi JoAnn: What I see in XP Pro is Start>Control Panel> Sounds and Audio
Devices>Volume>Device Volume> Advanced - see Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth
and CD player with options to mute each one or all (no microphone) >
Advanced> Advanced Controls for Volume Control. No Microphone.
I didn't want to mute my CD player and speakers so I left everything where
it was.
Thanks anyway. I appreciate your trying to help. Fidelco Foster

JoAnn Paules said:
It may vary but try this: (My system is running Vista so this was copied
from a website I found)

Start-Control Panel-

Adjust the system volume ->

In the Device volume area in the middle of the Volume tab, click on
Advanced. I know, I know, it looks like you are adjusting speaker volume,
but go ahead and do it.

If the microphone doesn’t show up as one of the devices, select the menu
item Options->Properties and put a check in the Microphone box.

In the microphone sub-panel, put a check in the Mute box.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

fidelco foster said:
Windows XP Pro Thanks
JoAnn Paules said:
[...]

My laptop has Vista so the commands will be different. Try contacting your
laptop's manufacturer and ask them how to disable the built-in microphone.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoAnn Paules said:
[...]

I thought we had established there was no microphone? If there is no
microphone it cannot pick up sounds! The problem of jumping curors is almost
always caused by an oversensitive touch pad responding to heavy handed
keyboard use. It's the touch pad that needs to be disabled and a mouse used
instead.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

JoAnn Paules said:
[...]

in message
[...]

"fidelco foster" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

It could have a built-in microphone, couldn't it? My laptop does but because
I have Vista, I can't tell if his settings and mine are the same.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
[...]

Dan Freeman

Note that Dell has drivers for many laptop models that will disable the
touchpad when an external mouse is plugged in. It has been a lifesaver for
me. (I *always* have a mouse plugged in.)

Dan

wrote in message
[...]

Jena

I'm having the same problem with a jumping cursor - but i'm nowhere near my
touchpad when i type. I have a new Inspiron 1525. Do you know if i plug in a
mouse it would disable the touchpad?

wrote in message
[...]

Nobody can say for sure.

But go to Control Panel->Mouse and see if there's a checkbox labeled
"Disable Touch Pad/Stick when USB pointing device is present".

You don't have to be exactly *on* the touch pad. I can tap an inch away from
it and cause a click. :-(

Dan