Japanese keyboard layout

G

To whom it may concern
I am running Windows XP Pro (Japanese version) and switched from an English keyboard to a Japanese keyboard "MS Wireless Desktop Elite". IntelliType 5.0 is of course installed, but Windows still uses the English keyboard layout although I have deleted all other languages than Japanese in Regional Settings / Languages / Details

I have also tried to uninstall the keyboard and mouse and rebooted to let Windows recognize the keyboard. It did not change anything

msconfig32 tells that the keyboard layout is 00000411. Not sure what this means

Under Device Manager / keyboard / Driver / Details I find the following files listed
C:¥WINDOWS¥System32¥Drivers¥i8042prt.sy
C:¥WINDOWS¥System32¥Drivers¥kbdclass.sy
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥itpcoin2.dl
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥kbd101.dl
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥kbdjpn.dl

And here is the problem as we see that Windows installed kbd101.dll instead of kbd106.dll which would be the correct driver for the Japanese keyboard
I have no clue how to change that as I have made sure that the Regional Settings are Japanese

I have also tried to manually update the keyboard driver, but I could not find the proper driver on my HD or Windows XP installation CD

I did not yet look into the registry as I do not want to make changes that would probably crash my system

Could you please let me know how to make Windows use the correct keyboard layout (kbd106.dll)?
(Which settings to alter? Which registry keys to change? Which driver to unstall?
Thanks a lot in advance

And

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Did you get a CD with the keyboard? If yes, you might try to find the file
on that CD.

G

Hi, Michael

I have the IntelliType Pro 5.0 CD that came with the keyboard and already tried to re-install the driver using the CD. It did not work either. I guess that I have to tweak the registry somehow to switch to the Japanese keyboard layout. I will check the registry of a computer in the office and see if I can find the settings that are different from my computer at home. Any other suggestions are welcome

Andy

G

I am really puzzled about this problem as Windows XP refuses to use the Japanese keyboard layout. I gave up on uninstalling hardware and re-installing it as the result is always the same. I can find several registry entries `Keyboard Layout` under the following keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\KeyboardLayout.in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\KeyboardLayout.ini\Substitutes\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Set01\Control\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Set01\Control\Keyboard Layouts\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Set03\Control\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Set03\Control\Keyboard Layouts\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Control\KeyboardLayouts\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\S-1-5-18\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\S-1-5-19\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT\S-1-5-20\KeyboardLayou
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-602162358-1383384898-1957994488-1003\KeyboardLayou

But I simply have no clue what to change and how make Windows XP understand that the connnected keyboad has a Japanese layout. I am really desperate and close to switching back to the old English keyboard. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

And

which are alway

----- AndyJapan wrote: ----

To whom it may concern
I am running Windows XP Pro (Japanese version) and switched from an English keyboard to a Japanese keyboard "MS Wireless Desktop Elite". IntelliType 5.0 is of course installed, but Windows still uses the English keyboard layout although I have deleted all other languages than Japanese in Regional Settings / Languages / Details

I have also tried to uninstall the keyboard and mouse and rebooted to let Windows recognize the keyboard. It did not change anything

msconfig32 tells that the keyboard layout is 00000411. Not sure what this means

Under Device Manager / keyboard / Driver / Details I find the following files listed
C:¥WINDOWS¥System32¥Drivers¥i8042prt.sy
C:¥WINDOWS¥System32¥Drivers¥kbdclass.sy
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥itpcoin2.dl
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥kbd101.dl
C:Â¥WINDOWSÂ¥System32Â¥kbdjpn.dl

And here is the problem as we see that Windows installed kbd101.dll instead of kbd106.dll which would be the correct driver for the Japanese keyboard
I have no clue how to change that as I have made sure that the Regional Settings are Japanese

I have also tried to manually update the keyboard driver, but I could not find the proper driver on my HD or Windows XP installation CD

I did not yet look into the registry as I do not want to make changes that would probably crash my system

Could you please let me know how to make Windows use the correct keyboard layout (kbd106.dll)?
(Which settings to alter? Which registry keys to change? Which driver to unstall?
Thanks a lot in advance

And

M

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

According to everything I've read, you are doing all the right things but
the problem remains. Have you checked your keyboard documentation for a
tech support contact? I'm also wondering if the problem is the Intellitype
software, if perhaps that is causing a conflict or blocking the change.

G

I gave up! I have uninstalled IntelliPro 5.0 (the software that came with the keyboard). No change
I then uninstalled the keyboard in the Device Manager, rebooted and made sure that no keyboard is listed in the device manager. I then shutted down the system, re-connected the keyboard, rebooted and -again- the wrong keyboard layout was installed

There seems to be no way to get the correct keyboard layout installed

The keyboard is now lying on my shelf. Too bad, I really would have liked to use this keyboard..

Ask a Question