minutes. However, it is visibly launching the program which interrupts what
I am currently working on.

This is a pain and I cannot reccommend it to others unless it can work in
the background. Is there a specific switch or general switch on the command
line to do this?

Thanks

G

I don't mind it being visible - but when I run the scheduled task it opens up
Synctoy and expects me to run it manually. Why doesn't it run automatically?

G

Have you set the variables correctly?

You need to add the command -R"folder_pair_name" to the run path to the
synctoy executable. Without this (to the best of my knowledge) the scheduled
task will simply run synctoy, as opposed to running synctoy and executing a
given task. Note that the run path must be to the executable, not to the
shortcut (as, from memory, is the default).

Reaction score
Bad Instructions in Windows

I had lots of problems getting SyncToy to run as a scheduled task and the instructions are appaling/misleading. Here's what I did to fix it.

1. The default place where SyncToy seems to install itself is somewhere in MyDocuments, StartUp, wherever. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to schedule from there. So I uninstalled SyncToy and reinstalled it in C/ProgramFiles (where it should go anyway). Also, I made sure to choose the .exe and not the .ink which seems to be chosen by default if you don't browse for it.

2. Then I chose this location in task scheduler.

3. Then in the Scedule Task properties I put the " in front of the -R (this should sync all folder pairs, as I only have 1 that's fine. So the final text that I had in the Run field was

"C:\Program Files\SyncToy\SyncToy.exe" -R

(note the last quotation mark is before the -R, contrary to what the Help in SyncToy tells you.

Now it works. It does open, run, and then close. I'm not sure how to make it run without popping up but I just set it for some time in the early morning when I'm not at work but my compuiter's on so it doesn't disturb me.

I hope they redo the instructions about how to schedule something within SyncToy as they're pretty confusing.

Good luck

Ask a Question