ISPs and news servers.

Kraut

This is probably the wrong groups for this post and if so I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anyplace, and where, that
a person could check for ISPs (Either broadband or dialup) that have their
own news server.

I know I can subscribe to seperate news server but retired on fixed income
all these little extra bills add up and my income stays the same.

TIA for help.

steve

This is probably the wrong groups for this post and if so I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anyplace, and where, that
a person could check for ISPs (Either broadband or dialup) that have their
own news server.

I know I can subscribe to seperate news server but retired on fixed income
all these little extra bills add up and my income stays the same.

TIA for help.

I suppose it depends where you are. The UK based ISP that I use has
its own news servers. I also use a few other free or low cost servers
and a few private ones.

Jim

Kraut said:
This is probably the wrong groups for this post and if so I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anyplace, and where, that
a person could check for ISPs (Either broadband or dialup) that have their
own news server.

I know I can subscribe to seperate news server but retired on fixed income
all these little extra bills add up and my income stays the same.

TIA for help.

There is no need for any ISP to provide it's own news server these days.
As you have found, many ISP's are dropping this 'feature' or are
charging extra for it.

Go to this site and set up a free news account for yourself. Can be used
with any ISP. Read and post from thousands of newsgroups.

http://news.datemas.de

Enjoy.

-Jim

Susan Bugher

Kraut said:
This is probably the wrong groups for this post and if so I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anyplace, and where, that
a person could check for ISPs (Either broadband or dialup) that have their
own news server.

if you're in the US. . .

http://www.findanisp.com/

"This ISP directory lists Internet Service Providers who offer dialup
and other internet access services in the United States, organized by
local phone calling areas. Compare ISPs with local access numbers in
your city, instead of every ISP in the entire Area Code or State."

The descriptions include the name of the newsgroup provider (if any)
used by the ISP

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Frank Bohan

baldtaco said:

An interesting site. I belong to a computer club in the UK and I am
constantly amazed how few of the members know about Usenet. Mention ACF or
any other newsgroup and it produces blank looks all round. We recently had a
talk by an internet provider, and when asked whether newsgroups were
included in the service, the rep giving the talk had never heard of
newsgroups or Usenet. Many members belong to so-called "free" services which
have crippling limits on usage/download limits. For the record, I use
Tiscali UK which does include news coverage.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ C: is the root of all directories

Dumb Bunny

Oh dear, us "oldies" (79) sometimes need a little help when using current
technology!
I read Jim's posting (Repeated below) in alt.comp.freeware yesterday and
managed to set up a News account successfully.
(Here is the text I received back from them.)
Hi John,
you are a member now and can login with your newsreader.
Host: news.datemas.de
Accountname: Your mail address
Passwd: Your password
The login is case sensitive. "A" is not "a"!

Best regards / Cordialement

Newsadmin (e-mail address removed)
Web http://news.datemas.de

My problem now is how to log on correctly. Cannot connect with any of the
entries I have tried.
Could you tell me the format I should be using please.
i.e. Is it, news.datemas.de/my email address/my password, or should it be,
news.datemas.de/my password ?

Any help provided would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who
can assist.

[...]

it appears to be a news server not a website
outlook express
tools
accounts
news