Free SMTP Server

n o s p a m p l e a s e

I use different ISPs for dialup connection and one ISP's smtp server
does not let me send email when I am connected to another ISP. I
thought the best solution could be to run my own smtp server.
Any free solution!
Thanx

H-Man

n o s p a m p l e a s e said:
I use different ISPs for dialup connection and one ISP's smtp server
does not let me send email when I am connected to another ISP. I
thought the best solution could be to run my own smtp server.
Any free solution!

A Google search using search string free smtp server will give you a
great selection. Most are intended to do exactly what you want to do.
HK

Ceg

Expect to run into the same problem alot of others are. Many of the ISP's
are blocking email coming from small, privately operated email servers. For
example, any email that I send to someone at AOL gets bounced back with a
statement that email from Cox Cable email servers are not accepted at
AOL...they've been banned due to overly excessive amounts of spam. Many
ISP's are setting up to where you have to send email out through their SMTP
servers. It's a pretty screwy situation and getting worse.

jo

n said:
I use different ISPs for dialup connection and one ISP's smtp server
does not let me send email when I am connected to another ISP. I
thought the best solution could be to run my own smtp server.
Any free solution!

The best solution is perhaps to get a decent email client that lets
you specify SMTP server on the fly. Pimmy allows this and I assume
some of the more mainstream clients do also.

Programs like 'ghostmail' are fun to play with but don't expect all
your mail to reach its recipient. :-( . My reliable workhorse is ADR,
which is buyware, and all mails sent through it to an AOL recipient
are bounced.

If you look for and find Ghostmail, be aware that any AV software you
have running at the time will declare it to be a virus...

This currently looks interesting:

http://www.tmicha.net/

H-Man

Ceg said:
Expect to run into the same problem alot of others are. Many of the ISP's
are blocking email coming from small, privately operated email servers. For
example, any email that I send to someone at AOL gets bounced back with a
statement that email from Cox Cable email servers are not accepted at
AOL...they've been banned due to overly excessive amounts of spam. Many
ISP's are setting up to where you have to send email out through their SMTP
servers. It's a pretty screwy situation and getting worse.

I can see AOL filtering mail, afterall it must really bog down their
server having people unsubscribe to unsolicited mail received from their
SMTP server ;-)

Actually I don't think an ISP, once you are connected, can stop you from
sending email from an embedded SMTP server, you can only be filtered out
at the receiver end. Your ISP may demand you not do it via their EUL or
TOU agreements, but I don't think they can selectively stop it in real
time.
HK

Alexander

n o s p a m p l e a s ewrote:
I use different ISPs for dialup connection and one ISP's smtp server
does not let me send email when I am connected to another ISP. I
thought the best solution could be to run my own smtp server.
Any free solution!

The name of this software tell me that it's what you search for :)
http://www.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/im-soft-free-smtp-server.html

But I like the following one:
http://www.sixfiles.com/dbase/files/david-harris-mercury-32.html

n o s p a m p l e a s e

In
H-Man said:
"n o s p a m p l e a s e" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

A Google search using search string free smtp server will give you a
great selection. Most are intended to do exactly what you want to do.
HK

I made a google search before shooting this query to usenet. The problem
is that the list is quite long and I could not pick up one. I need a
slim one that starts and closes with Outlook Express.

n o s p a m p l e a s e

Bebop & Rocksteady

I use different ISPs for dialup connection and one ISP's smtp server
does not let me send email when I am connected to another ISP. I
thought the best solution could be to run my own smtp server.
Any free solution!
Thanx

Try Mercury32
http://www.pmail.com

FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

The future is our past and our past is our future.

Alexander

Gary R. Schmidt

H-Man said:
servers. For

with a

I can see AOL filtering mail, afterall it must really bog down their
server having people unsubscribe to unsolicited mail received from their
SMTP server ;-)

Actually I don't think an ISP, once you are connected, can stop you from
sending email from an embedded SMTP server, you can only be filtered out
at the receiver end. Your ISP may demand you not do it via their EUL or
TOU agreements, but I don't think they can selectively stop it in real
time.

It is very easy for an ISP to prevent you using your own SMTP server,
all they have to do is prevent data escaping from their network on port
25 except as sent from the authorised SMTP server(s). If more ISPs did
this, there would be a lot less SPAM.

That said, my vote is for "Hamster Playground". (Well, really it's for
running sendmail or qmail or smail or zmail on a *NIX machine, but...)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Paul Blarmy

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:58:48 +0100, jo wrote...
The best solution is perhaps to get a decent email client that lets
you specify SMTP server on the fly. Pimmy allows this and I assume
some of the more mainstream clients do also.

Or use an SMTP auto switcher like Autoroute
http://www.mailutilities.com/ars/

Don't have to be a genius to set it up and it works very well when using
different dial-up ISPs.

H-Man

Gary R. Schmidt said:
It is very easy for an ISP to prevent you using your own SMTP server,
all they have to do is prevent data escaping from their network on port
25 except as sent from the authorised SMTP server(s). If more ISPs did
this, there would be a lot less SPAM.

I can't believe I overlooked that, of course it makes a great deal of
sense. Actually I can't imagine why more ISP's don't filter that port
then.
HK