ISP speed upgrade

Reaction score
My ISP has just told me they may give me a free upgrade from 2MB to 8MB if the line can take it. What advantages will this give me apart from speed & downloads? Will i be able to crunch quicker or is that down to the cpu etc. Any views???

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Feckit
What advantages will this give me apart from speed & downloads? Will i be able to crunch quicker or is that down to the cpu etc. Any views???

1. Speed and downloads will be quicker ..yes :thumb:
2 No , you only download the work units for crunching , then its down to your PC to process them :thumb:

But hey for nowt 2mb to 8mb thats cool ...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i will be getting the same upgrade aswell at some point, as rush said downloads will be rediculously fast :D but the WU processing time is all down to your PC

Reaction score
speed

Rush said:
By Feckit

1. Speed and downloads will be quicker ..yes :thumb:
2 No , you only download the work units for crunching , then its down to your PC to process them :thumb:

But hey for nowt 2mb to 8mb thats cool ...

It sounds even better when it was only 512k last May and 1 year on it could be 8MB all for the same price:D

Reaction score
i got same email :)

Free broadband product upgrades!

I'm delighted to announce that from 30th March 2006 we'll be upgrading our Broadband Premier, Plus and Pay As You Go customers for free.

The main changes are:
- Up to 8Mb speed upgrades! (subject to availability).
- Addition of PlusTalk minutes on our broadband phone (VoIP) service.
- New usage allowances and traffic management.

There’s no upgrade fee or change to subscription and you will not be asked to begin a new 12 month contract. You don’t even need to change any settings – we’re doing everything for you!

Your product will be upgraded on your first billing date after 30th March 2006. If you pay annually this will be the same day in the month as your annual subscription, e.g. the 15th. Speed upgrades will follow over the coming months - see below.

Customers on other products will be upgraded separately and we'll be contacting you by email if this applies to you.

1pixel.gif
speed_upgrades_top.gif
speed_upgrades_8mb.gif
speed_upgrades_bottom.gif
1pixel.gif

Up to 8Mb speed upgrades

High-speed broadband is here and if you’ve got broadband you’ll be getting upgraded for free!

It will take BT several months to upgrade the thousands of PlusNet broadband customers, so priority will be given to customers on the up to 4Mb and 8Mb products. We’ll then ask BT to upgrade our customers in the order they joined PlusNet, as recognition for loyalty.

We’ll contact you by email when BT perform your upgrade. And remember: 'up to 8Mb' really does mean 'up to'. Many factors affect broadband speed, including line quality, distance to the BT exchange and the weather. BT's 8Mb trials showed an average speed of 6.1Mb - a huge speed increase!

It’s important to remember that a small percentage of customers will be unable to get a speed upgrade because their line cannot support it. You will be contacted by email if this happens to you.

If you have been paying for an up to 4Mb or 8Mb broadband service and are unable to get these speeds we will refund you, providing you haven’t exceeded your usage allowances.

Reaction score
Yeah it's all good, i just can't wait till SDSL is rolled out in our area.

We have no Cable or SDSL so any LLU services, so it's pretty pants.

I have put a request into BT for SDSL activation and they said they'd get back to me, now what's the chance they will :)

Reaction score
virgin.net

I'm not even on a yearly contract, it's just a monthly one:thumb: seems that virgin.net think the service they provide is good, it is. Easy modem setup, great tech support, cant fault them:D

Ask a Question