Is this the best possible card for AGP ?!

Reaction score
Hey people ...

Remember i am building a pc for my friend ... well just about to purchase the card and just need to know if this is the best possible card for the slot AGP ?!

PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-043-PC)

Money is not an issue ... (obviously if it's like $600 !!! then that's a no ... )

Thanx please reply soon !!!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'd say that would be the best AGP card out at the moment (X850XT PE).

Reaction score
If HIS Excalibur do a version of that card, then theirs is likely to be fastest as they whack on huge cooling systems and clock the card a little higher...

Reaction score
Well i can't at the moment find my SOLO card lol so i havn't yet purchased it ...

Chris ... can you find me that card you said would be faster ?!?! :)

Thanx y'all :)

Reaction score
Personally I'd go with PCI-Express if I were building a new machine at this moment in time...AGP is gonna phase out over the next 12 months (perhaps a little longer). Unless you already have the mobo and it's an AGP one, I'd get a PCI version instead - better future proofing (whatever that means!).

Also, I reckon nVidia still have the edge in the vid market - get a good solid 6800GT and overclock it. Even with a stock cooler it will easily clock faster than it's big brother the 'Ultra' - add a custom cooler and you could do even better.

Note: Half Life 2 was supposedly made 'native' to ATI cards, and ATI spent £6m sponsoring the game and bundling it with their cards. It really ****es them off that HL2 creator Valve's own survey of thousands of HL2 players shows that nVidia is the game players popular choice.

Having said all that the ATI card is a top end piece of kit:cool:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
overclcokers.co.uk sell the HIS X800 XT PE but i havent seen anywhere selling the X850 from their site it says ebuyer sell them

Reaction score
1nteger said:
Personally I'd go with PCI-Express if I were building a new machine at this moment in time...AGP is gonna phase out over the next 12 months (perhaps a little longer). Unless you already have the mobo and it's an AGP one, I'd get a PCI version instead - better future proofing (whatever that means!).

Also, I reckon nVidia still have the edge in the vid market - get a good solid 6800GT and overclock it. Even with a stock cooler it will easily clock faster than it's big brother the 'Ultra' - add a custom cooler and you could do even better.

Note: Half Life 2 was supposedly made 'native' to ATI cards, and ATI spent £6m sponsoring the game and bundling it with their cards. It really ****es them off that HL2 creator Valve's own survey of thousands of HL2 players shows that nVidia is the game players popular choice.

Having said all that the ATI card is a top end piece of kit:cool:

I mite give him the 6800 Ultra Gainward ... :S lol

I have already giving him the AGP board or i woulda got him a PCI card ... lol

Me_2001 - if i got the HIS card and not the X850 would the HIS still to better or ?! Me confused lol

Reaction score
The X850 XT PE is gonna be the last (as far as I know) card released on AGP. Using Futuremark as a comparison, the X850 XTPE beats the 6800 Ultra. Not by much, but a win is a win.

Reaction score
Kenny said:
The X850 XT PE is gonna be the last (as far as I know) card released on AGP. Using Futuremark as a comparison, the X850 XTPE beats the 6800 Ultra. Not by much, but a win is a win.

...yeah, but a win measured only by a benchmarking tool and probably not by the human eye, but for how many extra £££££ ?

Don't get me wrong, half the stuff i buy is top end just because I like to know I have it in my system, so i understand the 'value' of spending more for the 'best'. but it wouldn't be fair to try and convince others to do the same, even tho' I suspect most peeps who stick around on sites like these are enthusiasts like me who are always willing to pay for that extra little performance boost!

My goodness, I seem to be agreeing with everyone ....willl wonders never cease?:eek:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Just a get a X800 XT and OC it 20 Mhz and Bam! you got yourself a X850XT PE :p

Reaction score
Well money isn't really an object in this matter as he is pretty much loaded lol and he wants the BEST graphics !!! lol

So looks like i will be buying the X850 XT PE from www.overclockers.co.uk :)

Thanx can't wait to try it out my self hehe :p

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
be a while until i upgrade to a x850pe money you see is normally a small problem...:p

Reaction score
Belloni said:
Well money isn't really an object in this matter as he is pretty much loaded lol and he wants the BEST graphics !!! lol

So looks like i will be buying the X850 XT PE from www.overclockers.co.uk :)

Thanx can't wait to try it out my self hehe :p

Well if he's loaded, then I reckon he should get two - and give one to me;)

Reaction score
PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-043-PC)
[size=-1]
The PowerColor X850 XT PE advances High-Definition Gaming with blockbuster features, including SMARTSHADER™ HD, highly advanced pixel shader engine. With up to 16 parallel pixel pipelines and up to 43 billion shader operations per second, the PowerColor X850 XT PE delivers the power serious gamers need. SMOOTHVISION™ HD combines advanced texture filtering with revolutionary 3Dc™ image enhancement technology to deliver brilliant image quality without compromising performance. 3Dc™ has quickly become an industry standard for supporting complex, high-definition visual effects in real time.

- 540MHz GPU Clock Speed
- 256MB 1180MHz GDDR3 memory accelerates the latest putting edge 3D applications
- 256-bit quad-channel GDDR3 memory interface
- Sixteen pixel pipelines
- Supports the AGP 8x
- Six programmable vertex shader pipelines
- Full support for DirectX® 9.0 and the latest OpenGL® functionality
- New SMARTSHADER™ HD technology
- SMOOTHVISION™ HD technology
- 3Dc™ High quality 4:1 Normal Map Compression delivers beautiful scenes without the performance hit.
- Unique VIDEOSHADER™ HD engine
- HYPER Z™ HD

Available This Week Only for just £299.95 +VAT.
[/size]

Looks good!

Reaction score
hey. it might be too late now, but if your mate wants the best graphics card, buy him an SLI system...

SLI and dual-core are totally un-necessary for games, your mate prob doesnt even need an X850, or a 6800Ultra.

SLI and dual-core: Without Futuremark, they would have very few takers.

Reaction score
Kenny said:
hey. it might be too late now, but if your mate wants the best graphics card, buy him an SLI system...

SLI and dual-core are totally un-necessary for games, your mate prob doesnt even need an X850, or a 6800Ultra.

SLI and dual-core: Without Futuremark, they would have very few takers.

Yes i know he probably won't need it but it's the fact that he KNOWS he has the best card out there if u get me ?!?! I am going to do the same ... lol

:) It's too late to get a SLI board as i have everything installed on it ... cept for the GFX and just need to purchase the moniter which he is getting the -

Sony SDM-HS75P X-black 17" LCD Monitor - Black (MO-009-SO)

Which i want !!! :( OH well hehe i can always go round his house and play it :) lol

Thanx for y'all help on this matter :)

Reaction score
I hate seeing (or thinking) about the look on someones face when they spend all that money on a bit of gear to have the best when... the next big release is only a few weeks away. Dual-core cards will be out soon. Ah well...if he`s happy, who am I to complain on his behalf?

Reaction score
lol oh well ... up to him init ...

I don't care lmao aslong as i am making money from him !!! :p

He can buy what he wants ! haha

Ask a Question