Is there a free version of Winzip?

Franklin

I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

Possibly one which is an old version?

Or is there an ad-ware version of Winzip?

Kenneth

I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

Possibly one which is an old version?

Or is there an ad-ware version of Winzip?

Howdy,

Are you looking for something identical to WinZip, or
something that is functionally equivalent to WinZip.

If the latter, consider:

http://www.thefreesite.com/easyzip111.htm

HTH,

El Gee

I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

Possibly one which is an old version?

Or is there an ad-ware version of Winzip?

I am a big fan of IZarc. wonderful proggie.
7-Zip is very good as well.

El Gee // www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace - No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

John

Franklin wrote:
I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

This may suit , has a wizard .

CoffeeCup Free Zip Wizard
http://www.coffeecup.com/zip-wizard/
http://www.download.com/CoffeeCup-Free-Zip-Wizard/3000-2250_4-10287410.html
CoffeeCup Free Zip Wizard makes it easy to Zip and Unzip files. It has
built-in E-mail and FTP functions, so you can Zip and send your files
in one easy step. Free Zip Wizard can also run any program or setup
file inside Zip files. It can also create self-extracting .exe files,
and find all the Zip files on your system too.

André Gulliksen

Franklin said:
Or is there an ad-ware version of Winzip?

Please satisfy my curiousity: Why would anybody want this? Why does it have
to be WinZip?

Wayne Boatwright

I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

Curious... Why must it be "Winzip"?
Possibly one which is an old version?

AFAIK, all versions require registration. Having said that, most versions
will work in evaluation mode.
Or is there an ad-ware version of Winzip?

You might consider that to be the evaluation mode. Check their website.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Howard Schwartz

[posted and mailed]

Franklin said:
I know there are plenty of good freeware zip programs but I am
interested to know if there is a freeware version of Winzip?

Possibly one which is an old version?

I actually obtained a `free' copy of the actual winzip program from
somewhere (do not remember). It is called, winzip70.exe and includes
a file called, `Eddie.txt' that gives you a registration code to
unlock the program:

Ok, just copy and paste this info in to the registration field for
WinZip v7.0 SR-1:

Name: The Krazy Nomad [DEViANT]

Code: 0BB3629F

Perhaps you can find this by searching for `Krazy Nomad' or some such.
This is probably illegal on some level, unless there is a time limit
for old versions. I prefer an almost exact duplicate of winzip called,
wzt95.exe. Its files in compressed form can be found in the file,
wztt.exe and it is actual legal freeware. It adds to winzip a an
`install'
(instead of extract) option and a program that watches installations and
can uninstall an application, if you wish to remove a program from
your computer. The latter is similar to totaluninstall. I highly
recommend this program.

dg1261

André Gulliksen said:
Please satisfy my curiousity: Why would anybody want this?
Why does it have to be WinZip?

Just to jump in here, my own requirements are for a zip program that can run
from the command-line (meaning it can be scripted) and collect files with
the archive bit set. WinZip and PKZip will do that. All of the freeware
alternatives I've seen mentioned seem to have very limited or no
command-line functionality.

André Gulliksen

Howard said:
I actually obtained a `free' copy of the actual winzip program from
somewhere (do not remember). It is called, winzip70.exe and includes
a file called, `Eddie.txt' that gives you a registration code to
unlock the program:

Ok, just copy and paste this info in to the registration field for
WinZip v7.0 SR-1:

Name: The Krazy Nomad [DEViANT]

Does not sound like a legal copy to me.

pete

Howard said:
I actually obtained a `free' copy of the actual winzip program from
somewhere (do not remember). It is called, winzip70.exe and includes
a file called, `Eddie.txt' that gives you a registration code to
unlock the program:

Ok, just copy and paste this info in to the registration field for
WinZip v7.0 SR-1:

Name: The Krazy Nomad [DEViANT]

Does not sound like a legal copy to me.
Winzip 7 is a *very* old version.
version 9 was released over a year ago

Harvey Van Sickle

On 05 Apr 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote
Curious... Why must it be "Winzip"?

AFAIK, all versions require registration. Having said that, most
versions will work in evaluation mode.

I paid for a registration for WinZip many moons ago -- on the basis
that it's a good program; that the evaluation status is made very
clear by the splash screen; and that I don't mind paying for something
when it's useful -- but it's so seldom one sees a registered version, I
must be in a small minority.

I've always found it interesting that the evaluation version -- apart
from the splash screen which makes it clear that it *is* an evaluation
version -- is entirely functional and unlimited.

NicoMak must be fully aware that even commercial users often don't pay
the registration fee, and their non-crippling of the evaluation version
leads me to suspect that they're happy enough with that situation: the
disclaimer and conditions covers the legal stuff (making continued
unregistered use a breach of the licence agreement), but not crippling
it has made them the default zip program for business use)

Sascha Wostmann

dg1261 :
Just to jump in here, my own requirements are for a zip program that can run
from the command-line (meaning it can be scripted) and collect files with
the archive bit set. WinZip and PKZip will do that. All of the freeware
alternatives I've seen mentioned seem to have very limited or no
command-line functionality.

in the time "before" WinZip there was a small utility (in fact, there
were three ones) named "PKZip", "PKUnzip" and "PKZipfix". These were
DOS programs running in the DOS shell. I liked them very much until
the long filenames became introduced in Windows 95. There was a
workaround or even newer versions with long filename support, but I
switched to WinZip and didn't follow the progress. Maybe you can find
something with these searchwords.

[re-reading your post I saw you suggested exactly this tool too -
sorry, I haven't been paying enough attention... Maybe it's useful for
others, though]

Another great DOS packer in that time was "ARJ". Also very small but
powerful. And it had long filenames too.

Viele Grüße,
Sascha

Susan Bugher

Sascha said:
dg1261 :

in the time "before" WinZip there was a small utility (in fact, there
were three ones) named "PKZip", "PKUnzip" and "PKZipfix". These were
DOS programs running in the DOS shell. I liked them very much until
the long filenames became introduced in Windows 95. There was a
workaround or even newer versions with long filename support, but I
switched to WinZip and didn't follow the progress. Maybe you can find
something with these searchwords.

see:

http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/1/index.html

pk250dos.exe 208215 04-06-99 PKZIP v2.50 for DOS. Self-extracting
version released by PKWare. Reqs DOS2+ and Pentium!
[re-reading your post I saw you suggested exactly this tool too -
sorry, I haven't been paying enough attention... Maybe it's useful for
others, though]

Another great DOS packer in that time was "ARJ". Also very small but
powerful. And it had long filenames too.

Program: ICEOWS (was ArjFolder)
Author: Raphaël et Béatrice Mounier
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.iceows.com/

I suggest you try Freebyte Zip:

Program: Freebyte Zip (was HJ-Zip)
Author: Freebyte (Henk Hagedoorn)
Install: (n.i.)
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.freebyte.com/

I've just done a preliminary look-see. I like it. :)
3 keys added to the registry.
Excerpt from the readme.txt:

Current version:
Freeware 2.3.1

Supported platforms:
Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000

Command-line options

-e: extract files
-a: add files
-p: use path information when extracting files (create directories if
necessary)
-p: store path information when adding files
-r: recurse subdirectories when adding files

command-line:

fbzip.exe [options] <zipfilename> <list of absolute paths>

* The list of absolute paths can contain file names, directories and
wild-cards.
* If <zipfilename> does not exist, it will be created on harddisk.

</quote>

http://www.freebyte.com/download/fbzpack.exe
(342 KB)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

me

dg1261 :
[...]

PK(un)zip v2.5 handle LFN well (experiment w/ LFN dir. names
containing spaces). The "grand" total file size of the three
..EXE's is 93,913 bytes. :)

Minor glitch on W2K: spanning "-&" cannot access drive A:. ARJ
does not have this problem.

dg1261

Sascha Wostmann said:
[...]

Hi, Sascha,

Yeah, the LFN command-line version of PKZip was v2.50. I have that and have
used it for years. But it was pulled from the pkware download site years
ago and is now payware instead of shareware.

My response was to Andre's implication that WinZip had nothing to offer that
freeware couldn't do. I have my solution, but it's not freeware, so I'm
always on the lookout for freeware that I can recommend to friends that has
the full functionality of WinZip or PKZip. (Of the two, I recommend WinZip
to others because it has a better upgrade policy. I'm a longtime registered
user of both, but WinZip let's me upgrade for free, while PKZip wants me to
pay again for new versions.)

BTW, my favorite DOS packer has always been lha v2.13--a very tiny, single
file that can pack, unpack, create self-extracting files, or autolaunching
archives (the kind that automatically run a batch file when the archive is
unpacked). Also freeware, but regretfully no LFN support.