Is the new Windows 11 inspired by KDE Plasma and Gnome?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That does look pretty similar, but with an iOS flavour to it!

I really like the new Windows 11 GUI - the first time in a while that I really like the GUI improvements. Windows 8 was just awful for styling.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I may be mistaken here but I seem to recall Microsoft saying that Windows 10 would be their final OS and that from then on they'd just roll out improvements and upgrades to suit.

Or was that a dream?

So we are going to have to fork out for another Microsoft OS?

I know things move on and I'm open to and mostly welcome change but, but...

This is the part where disgruntled posters declare 'That's it! I'm switching to Linux!'. But they never do.

Linux are getting a lot closer to enabling computer users to ditch Windows but for myself I still need Windows for certain things.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So we are going to have to fork out for another Microsoft OS?

Only if you want to.Not only can you get Windows 11 for free you can even install it on older hardware.

"This PC can't run Windows 11"

Using the above Bookmen over at Scots used this Windows .iso

https://en.softonic.com/download/windows-11/windows/post-download

To install to,

I don't know whether MS is backing down or I just stumbled across a patched Win 11 iso but I downloaded the one from Softonic and it works on older hardware. It worked as a direct upgrade on my HP Elitebook with a gen 7 CPU. On a much older Athlon box, I had to do a clean install because the Win 10 install wasn't setup with secure boot. But the clean install, using the old Win 10 key, did install and activate.

:cool:

An if you are still runnin Windows 7 you may be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and the on to Windows 11.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...ndows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/

An Windows 11 is most certainly influenced by KDE and Gnome. Apparently they were going to call it Micro Penguin :p

Last edited:

Ask a Question