Is the Grisoft AVG Antivirus update server dead?

Anonymous

It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding.
No further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you
get through?

Thanks!

Steve H

It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding.
No further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you
get through?

Thanks!

Not working here either...probably just a glitch.

old jon

Anonymous said:
It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding. No
further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you
get through?

Thanks!
Looks like their server is down at the moment.

Ivorh

--
Ivorh
Suffolk,
Anonymous said:
It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding. No
further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you
get through?

Thanks!

No problem's hare............................

Anonymous

Steve H wrote :
Not working here either...probably just a glitch.

Regards,

Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing that favor for me. If you and I both cannot get
updates, then the problem is Grisoft's dead update-server and not our
computers. I surfed to the updater's website at http://guru.grisoft.com
and it is offline too. I've contacted their tech support staff by
email.

Thanks for your help!

PS: Their dialog box was just SOOOO helpful: "No additional information
is available..." I guess that I can't complain TOO loudly because it's
a free product.

Thanks again!

Gabriele Neukam

On that special day, Anonymous, ([email protected]) said...
It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding.
No further information is available."

At 10:30 CET, the automatic update ran flawlessly. Can't tell why it
didn't for you.

Gabriele Neukam

(e-mail address removed)

Steve H

Steve H wrote :

Hi Steve,

Thanks for doing that favor for me. If you and I both cannot get
updates, then the problem is Grisoft's dead update-server and not our
computers. I surfed to the updater's website at http://guru.grisoft.com
and it is offline too. I've contacted their tech support staff by
email.

Thanks for your help!

PS: Their dialog box was just SOOOO helpful: "No additional information
is available..." I guess that I can't complain TOO loudly because it's
a free product.

Thanks again!
It's working now!

That's a glitch for ya...

Anonymous

Anonymous formulated on Thursday :
It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is giving
me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding. No further
information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you get
through?

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I see that guru.grisoft.com and the auto-updater are both back online.

Sorry for the false alarm---I just lost my composure when that *very
helpful* dialog box appeared saying "Connection failed, no additional
information available..." Okay, so is the problem on my end or on their
end or has some malware got inside my machine and screwed with AVG or
my connection-software or is something else wrong with my machine...?

Everything appears to be okay now. My copy of AVG just updated itself
with no worries. Again, sorry for the false alarm. I'm just not
accustomed to seeing warning boxes from AVG or dead-connections from
Grisoft.

Thanks for everyone's help!

schrodinger's cat

PS: Their dialog box was just SOOOO helpful: "No additional information
is available..."

If it can't connect, how is it supposed to get additional information?
It told you all it knows.

ranrad

It is the morning of January 26, and my AVG Antivirus auto-updater is
giving me a dialog box that says "Update failed. Server not responding.
No further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you
get through?

Thanks!

'Tis now 8.20am West Australia time, and my auto update kicked in at 8.00am
as always and pulled down & installed an update, no problem.
24th January I had to try 3 times. Got a message that an error had occured
and I couldn't get the update down, Perseverence worked. :)

Anonymous

If it can't connect, how is it supposed to get additional information?
It told you all it knows.

The dialog box could be improved by telling me:

* whether or not the software was able to locate a connection
(the problem is in my computer and I can start looking for it), or

* if the software got a signal out but the server never answered
(my computer and connection is okay but the problem may be with my
ISP), or

* if the server was contacted but did not respond
(the problem is on the other end and there is nothing I can do but
wait)

The phrase "no additional information available" doesn't help me to
identify, isolate, locate, or fix the problem.

But like I said, it's free and I'm happy with the product so I'm not
complaining too loudly.

Cheers.

Steve H

The dialog box could be improved by telling me:

* whether or not the software was able to locate a connection
(the problem is in my computer and I can start looking for it), or

* if the software got a signal out but the server never answered
(my computer and connection is okay but the problem may be with my
ISP), or

* if the server was contacted but did not respond
(the problem is on the other end and there is nothing I can do but
wait)

The phrase "no additional information available" doesn't help me to
identify, isolate, locate, or fix the problem.

But like I said, it's free and I'm happy with the product so I'm not
complaining too loudly.
Good points..why not drop 'em a line..you never know, they might think
so too.
I sometimes have problems connecting - and although I know it's
'probably' a server issue, it would be nice to have it
confirmed...just in case.
It's a security app after all, and as such that makes it a target.

Helen

schrodinger's cat said:
If it can't connect, how is it supposed to get additional information?
It told you all it knows.

Mine is:
Version 7.1.374
1/22/2006

Helen

Dave

Hi Guys,

Someone posted a fix a while ago and it works a treat, here are the
instructions that I was given:

----START-----

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/msg/c0ddae59968efbda

You cannot add new servers in the free edition however you can use this
sneaky little fix I came up with.

Your hosts file in windows 9x/me is in your windows folder with no
extension.

In XP/2k its in windows\system32\drivers\etc with no extension.

1. Open up your hosts file in notepad.
2. Add the following line

193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com

What this does is actually tells your computer to connect to­
www.grisoft.com (which works) and not guru.grisoft.com to perform updates.

Locations:
=======
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

----END----

And that's all there is to it.

Have Fun,

Dave.
-----
"Anonymous" > wrote in message ...> It is the morning of January 26, and my
AVG Antivirus auto-updater is giving me a dialog box that says

"Update failed. Server not responding.

No further information is available."

Everything worked fine yesterday.

Can someone please try to update their AVG Antivirus and tell me if you get
through?

Thanks!

Margrave of Brandenburg

There have been problems, on and off, for the last couple of days.

Normally, updates are quite fast. Lately, they've been slow ... takes most
of a whole minute. Or sometimes fails.

This is not the first time. Every so often, Grisoft has problems of some
sort. Sometimes they last a few days, sometimes longer.