Is it illegal?

Steve N.

John said:
No it would not be legal. You can install the retail copy

Who said it is a Retail CD?
on your second pc
but you would need to delete the copy you already have on your first pc to
comply with the microsoft EULA. The rules are one copy installed on one
machine. If you have two machines, you need two copies of xp.

No, you need two valid licences and the appropriate media for them.

Steve

Steve N.

frogspawn said:
You are a careful reader.

And you are not.
I guess he does have two different keys.
Unfortunately, one is an OEM key (the one on the box) and one is a retail
copy of XP.

Where did the OP say the second copy was Retail and not OEM?

Steve

Steve N.

ByTor said:
The bottom line, I believe, is that an OEM key will just not work on a
full retail install anyway............Welcome to the OEM world, that
license is "specific" to that machine....Logic would dictate that you
own a license of the OS, but that's not the way it works, you need a
copy for that machine.........

Once again... (sigh) where did he say the copy he purchased at a store
was a Reatil and not OEM CD?
The OEM machine, what is it? Dell, Gateway, HP??? How old is the
machine? Just request a copy from the original source no? What's wrong
with the recovery CD's? Do you get errors?? What happens?

Finally, someone is asking pertinent questions :)
Bravo!

Steve

Steve N.

From: "POWER OUTAGE B" <[email protected]>

| The agreement reads that you can allow up to ten computers access.

That's creating a network share and it will allow up to ten simultaneous networked platforms
to access that share at a time.
That has NOTHING to do with the MS EULA !

For XP Home Edition it is limited to FIVE connections, not ten. And it
*IS* spelled out in the EULA as such, so it DOES have something to do
with it.

Steve

xfile

Hi,

I will suggest you to call your OEM and see if you can obtain another copy
of the recovery CD.

Then call MS to find out if you need a second license because of the
physical damage of your CD, and if you can activate the product through
Internet (on the same OEM machine after re-installation) or has to call MS
for manual activation.

Two phone calls are much cheaper than jumping to buy a new license.

frogspawn

You have no idea how brilliant one can become by reading the posts on this
Newsgroup. I was able to ferret out the retail status of the other license
from the OP:
"I guessing that I have two licenses since I have the Windows XP Key sticker
(on the side of the computer) and the key on the folder that XP came in."
The operative phrase is "the key on the folder that XP came in." This, I
have learned from the experts who post here, is the format in which Retail
keys are provided.
Thanks for making me feel so self-important. Wheeeee!

OOOPS.

Ken Blake said:
In

No, that's a technical issue, not a licensing one.

Windows XP Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, but Home (which is what he's asking about) only
five.

ByTor

Once again... (sigh) where did he say the copy he purchased at a store
was a Reatil and not OEM CD?

To quote, "I do have a store bought XP home CD and a copy is already."

Don't know about what you see but he/she did say store bought CD? I mean
I'll admit if my assumption was incorrect, but how do buy a "store"
bought OEM (O-riginal E-quipment M-anufacturer) seperate CD that does
not come with a proprietary machine?

It's no big deal to me, I really don't want to debate this, I'm amazed
out how debates are already triggered in just 1hrs time.....The OP
hasn't even responded......Probably frightened away by now... ;0)
Finally, someone is asking pertinent questions :)
Bravo!

Steve

Thank You, nice to be recognized...... ;0)

Steve N.

frogspawn said:
You have no idea how brilliant one can become by reading the posts on this
Newsgroup. I was able to ferret out the retail status of the other license
from the OP:
"I guessing that I have two licenses since I have the Windows XP Key sticker
(on the side of the computer) and the key on the folder that XP came in."
The operative phrase is "the key on the folder that XP came in." This, I
have learned from the experts who post here, is the format in which Retail
keys are provided.
Thanks for making me feel so self-important. Wheeeee!

Go to a store that sells OEM copies of XP and look at one (usually
supplied with a piece of hardware, but not always outside the USA, and
we have no way of knowing what country it was purchased in either).
Where is the COA sticker located?
Nothing supplied in the OP indicates whether the copy of XP he bought at
a store was "OEM" or "Retail".

Feel better now?
:)

Steve

Steve N.

ByTor said:
To quote, "I do have a store bought XP home CD and a copy is already."

Don't know about what you see but he/she did say store bought CD? I mean
I'll admit if my assumption was incorrect, but how do buy a "store"
bought OEM (O-riginal E-quipment M-anufacturer) seperate CD that does
not come with a proprietary machine?

OEM copies sold in the US are often sold with a piece of hardware, even
as little as a power cord or a mouse.
It's no big deal to me, I really don't want to debate this, I'm amazed
out how debates are already triggered in just 1hrs time.....The OP
hasn't even responded......Probably frightened away by now... ;0)

Nah, he/she already replied :)
Thank You, nice to be recognized...... ;0)

Give credit where it's due, I always say :)

Steve

Steve N.

Steve said:
OEM copies sold in the US are often sold with a piece of hardware, even
as little as a power cord or a mouse.

Nah, he/she already replied :)

Oops. My mistake. But besides, debating issues shouldn't scare anyone off.

Steve.

David H. Lipman

From: "Steve N." <[email protected]>

| For XP Home Edition it is limited to FIVE connections, not ten. And it
| *IS* spelled out in the EULA as such, so it DOES have something to do
| with it.
|
| Steve

Good point about the differentiation of XP Pro vs. HP HE file sharing limitations, however
the answer (of whom I replied to) is not associated to the EULA and the connection to the
EULA is tenuous at best.

frogspawn

This whole issue gets discussed to death in this newsgroup, so I know the
drill forwards and backwards (as does anyone who reads posts here with any
regularity):

There is are the various "true" OEM versions of XP that come preloaded on
name-brand computers, and there is the "Retail OEM", aka "System Builder"
version of XP, that you can buy on a disk at any computer store for as
little as $90 USD.
How do they differ? The OEM you buy at the store is generic, direct from MS.
The "true" (preloaded) OEM versions are all different from the MS version in
various ways, having been reconfigured to the computer manufacturer's
hardware. This kind of OEM OS is tied to the exact build of computer it was
sold with.

So, going back to your post:
"What if he bought an OEM CD?"
If he bought a CD, it would have to be the generic MS OEM CD, the only kind
you can buy. As stated above, that CD would not work with a "true" OEM
Product Key. Based on this quote: "The original recovery CD's do not work",
you have to assume that the product key on the side of the computer is
"true" OEM, as the purchaseable version of XP does not come with recovery
CD's in place of of a regular XP disk..

This is all very deductive, and if you still see flaws in my reasoning, post
again. The situation could be more complicated than we know, and the OP may
not have told the entire story, such as where he got his computer, etc.

ByTor

OEM copies sold in the US are often sold with a piece of hardware, even
as little as a power cord or a mouse.

Okay, maybe I should look in to the definition more...Interesting......
Give credit where it's due, I always say :)

Sure, why not........Git-r-done! He, He.... ;0)

ByTor

Oops. My mistake. But besides, debating issues shouldn't scare anyone off.

Steve.

I guess not you're right, still amazes me though.......Whew!
Need some more Espresso, Argh,argh, argh!

frogspawn

As a licensee of the OEM version of XP in question, I can tell you that my
COA came with the packaging for the CD. Had I not read here that it was Very
Important, I might have thrown it out, as I think it was on the plastic
shrink wrap. It is a shiny, almost holographic sticker, which is now
attached to my computer case.

" Nothing supplied in the OP indicates whether the copy of XP he bought at a
store was "OEM" or "Retail".
I really must beg to differ.
Wheeeee.

Steve N.

From: "Steve N." <[email protected]>

| For XP Home Edition it is limited to FIVE connections, not ten. And it
| *IS* spelled out in the EULA as such, so it DOES have something to do
| with it.
|
| Steve

Good point about the differentiation of XP Pro vs. HP HE file sharing limitations,

Thank you.
however
the answer (of whom I replied to) is not associated to the EULA and the connection to the
EULA is tenuous at best.

Good point yourself David. Tenuous, yeah, but it's in there just the
same, and if we're going to try to understand the EULAs might as well
cover all we can. :)

Steve