Is Freeview worth it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that a reasonable freeview box is around £40 one-off, is it worth the switch?

I had a look at the extra channels, and it appeared to only be BBC3/4 + a couple of news channels that were worth while. The rest were crappy shopping channels, holiday channels with a few radio stations that I could listen to anyway.

Does anyone have one and think its worth the £40?

Reaction score
think i got mine from adsa for about £37

i would say it's worth the £40 as you never need to spend anything else - but you could go for the top-up tv - where u pay about £7 month and get a few more channels
the channels are crap but they are some good programs on them at times ! more channels are suposed to be getting added - proberly more shopping 1's - lol

the main resaon for me getting 1 was to get channel 5 - and the 2 kids channel for my little girl who's watch ceebies right now

you also get a great picture on all channels

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers, I'll have a look at the Adsa one next time I go!

I took a look at top-up TV, but none of the channels really stood out. If they added a few more, it would be worth it though.

Reaction score
Yeah, i don't like the extra channels, but it gives amazing quality, and it tells you what is on that chanel at that time...

Reaction score
GONNA-GET-U said:
the main resaon for me getting 1 was to get channel 5

GGU.. Same here... I also found the the quality of reception was allot better for the other channels too.... well bieng Digital and all that.. its quite good :)

Ian.. The only thing i find that I end up watching is the History Channel and the odd music channel for a short while.. But if you don't have sky or cable and you have a poor reception with a normal anologe signal.. then i would say yep its definatly worth it.. like KGB says ... you get a great on screen guide too.. :)

I paid £99 for mine but that was a while ago.. £37 is definatley a bargin.. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got mine for £35, worth every penny. Superior quality picutres and sound, you can see what's on and what's coming on on all chanels, and get information on them. You get BBC THREE, FOUR and stuff like History channel, BBC News 24, ITV2 (mostly crap but some good comedy and repeats on now and then), etc. You get radio stations as well, although i only really listen to the abstract late night comedy on them

Go for it!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
£35?! Where was that from Matt?

I'm now convinced :) I like the History channel, and some extra comedy channels would be excellent. I just wish the Discovery Channels were on there!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Now that a reasonable freeview box is around £40 one-off, is it worth the switch?

I had a look at the extra channels, and it appeared to only be BBC3/4 + a couple of news channels that were worth while. The rest were crappy shopping channels, holiday channels with a few radio stations that I could listen to anyway.

Does anyone have one and think its worth the £40?

yes it is worth it. you also get ITV2, and lots of radio channels, dependent on your location.

I got mine 2 years ago, the quality is brilliant and theres this thing called EPG. Electronic Programe Guide, which will tell u which programme is on now and coming on next. and also details about this programme.

Other channels include, BBC3 , BBC4, BBC News24, UK History, Sky News, Sky Sports News. And there are lots more. BBC3 is good for 10'oclock Eastenders, Sky Sports News is brilliant for footie, if thats your cup of tea.

Also there is an option to get more channels for a fee such as cartoon network, and the best channel ever, UK Gold!

So I think if you can seriously get it for £37, you should consider making a business out of it:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is a new one comming out in 5 days called ABC1, (free on freeview)

it looks like rubbish american commedies, but it may be good...

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
£35?! Where was that from Matt?

I'm now convinced :) I like the History channel, and some extra comedy channels would be excellent. I just wish the Discovery Channels were on there!

One of the cheapo supermarkets, Aldi or Netto i think. Was a good few months back, they pushed a leaflet through the door that had it on.

Reaction score
I have a Pace set top box - I plug it in and then have to leave it 10 mins before pics start coming through. Anyone had this prob?

Anyway, its worth it for a one off fee - if you ever had to pay for it monthly, then i would say forget it!

Reaction score
i got a sagem from adsa - nice and small - about the size of a double DVD case !

just loaded up there in about 5 secs - never had a problem loading up - just got a norrmal outside areil

the top-up tv has bloomberg - boomerang - cartoon network - discovery - discovery homa & leisure - E4 - TCM - UK food - UK Gold - UK Style - for £7.99 a month - which is not bad if are not will to pay cable or sky prices

08700 5433210 for more details

i've not got the top-up tv - but sound Ok - the goverment has already said that normmal TV will be cut off in 2010 i think! - is this right ?

AS for SKY films ! - you might aswell buy a DVD every month and watch it every night - thats all they do !

Reaction score
James, they are all american, and they look all rubbish (the reviews on it agrees with me) - so they are American Rubbish!

PS. though you use a ',' you still need a space after it, ie. I want Pizza, chips... (not i want pizza,chips etc) - same with a '.' !!!

Reaction score
GONNA-GET-U said:
i've not got the top-up tv - but sound Ok - the goverment has already said that normmal TV will be cut off in 2010 i think! - is this right ?

The government proposes to switch off the analogue TV transmitter network by 2010, yes. For the citizen this means that you wont be able to watch TV unless you have a freeview box, satalite box or cable box. For the government this means they get a nice chunk of UHF bandwidth licensing to sell off for billions of pounds.

Personally, I'm not fussed, I watch all my TV through freeview or sky anyways, and prefer it that way. It would be nice if the government gave the bandwidth to the people though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have just bought a Freeview box today, worked for 10 mins (and was impressed), and then it "froze".... uhhh :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its the Fusion FRT100 - just a budget one from Argos. It works for about 10 mins and then "freezes" on a black screen. Will have to take it back tomorrow, will leave it on overnight and see what happens.

Reaction score
yer take it back get a refund. i rekon u hold get another one because freeview is worth it

i heard theres this american channel on freeview some sorta comedy channel

worth a watch sometime!!!

Ask a Question