Could I get sky?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have recently moved into a new flat, and there are a couple of connections behind the TV - one of them being a sky digital socket.

Apparently, the flat already has the sky digital line to the flat, I just need to set up a subscription.

Could I buy a cheap box from ebay and plug it in to get the freeview channels (BBC news, UK living etc...?). There are going for about a tenner, so it might be worth a go!

Reaction score
You would need a viewing card,

To get one of them, you must have the all singing all dancing subscription for a year, £36 a month i think, Then you can cancel/downgrade and have just the freeview ones.

Thats what i think the case is anyway.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I do have freeview - but there are extra ones on sky - plus I'd get PPV football matches and films occasionally, which I can't do on freeview.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I have recently moved into a new flat, and there are a couple of connections behind the TV - one of them being a sky digital socket.

Apparently, the flat already has the sky digital line to the flat, I just need to set up a subscription.

Could I buy a cheap box from ebay and plug it in to get the freeview channels (BBC news, UK living etc...?). There are going for about a tenner, so it might be worth a go!

try this Ian, grab someone else's box and card and install them in your flat..........see what happens. does it work? IDEALLY u want to get some1 who has a box and a card but is NOT SUBSCRIBED to SKY! (hope that makes sense)

yes ur rite sky does have a couple of channels over ondigital, but its only a few.i dont think uk living comes free. u r just looking at the radio channels and couple of news, music, shopping channels. normally with sky if u want to start a new subscription u need to do another 12 month contract. but in this case the sky is already installed, so theres a good chance that u could go for the £12.50 option on a monthly basis, but take my advice Ian, £12.50 option offers really one channel SKY one, the rest are avaible on ondigital!

good idea to look on ebay for a box in the long run.

good luck

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks PSD - I'll see if I can borrow a box to see if it works. If it does, I might get a cheap package just so I can watch the Discovery Channels!

Reaction score
You can't use someone elses card in a different box - it tells you that they don't belong to the same person... If what ive been told is true

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Don't encourage him y'all - otherwise it'll be constant bloomin' football for me! Down with Newcastle United ;)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You can't use someone elses card in a different box - it tells you that they don't belong to the same person... If what ive been told is true

yes he is definetly right, thats why its important that u use the same card in the same box it came from. u see in the old dayd sky used to be analogue, and it was all so easy to get a 'chipped' box which allowed one to get free channels. but now its sky digital. not only is there a chip in the box, but theres one on the bloody card too!!

yer the discovery channel is great, but i'd stick to my personal favourate, UK Gold! :)

Reaction score
so...................

how did it go Ian?

did u get Sky in the end?
let us know...................:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, I didn't in the end - I looked into it but it was too much for even a simple package! Normal Freeview is pretty good though for BBC3, I just miss the Discovery channels - but they arent worth £20/month.

Reaction score
yes ur rite...........but ive seen this new thing ondigital where u pay £7.99 a month there are some good channels there i even beleive that there is discovery channel on it!! but the best thing abt it? its not an annual contract so u can do it 1 month or 9 its up to you how long u stay with em!!!:)

i dont think its called ondigital but i reember watching it on the tele the advert that is!

Ask a Question