Could i be about to get blown up?!!

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got a couple of electricity questions for you guys:

1. I have an electric razor from Australia and i bought a convertor from homebase which looks like it fits it. It says it doesnt convert the voltage though. I looked on the razor plug and it says 250v and i know the UK is 240v, so, can i use this??

2. My TV sometimes flickers and makes a clicking noise, and when i look down the back of it there is a blue spark in the back. Does this mean my TV is going to break or im going to get blown to smitherines?!! :lol:

Bodhi

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Floppy will probably know the answer to these :thumb:

1) Does the shaver not do dual voltage? Anyway, I'm almost positive that you can use it as UK power is 230V +10%/-6% , and I'm pretty sure Oz is too.

2) No idea :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey,

I've got a couple of electricity questions for you guys:

1. I have an electric razor from Australia and i bought a convertor from homebase which looks like it fits it. It says it doesnt convert the voltage though. I looked on the razor plug and it says 250v and i know the UK is 240v, so, can i use this??

As long as the shaver is clearly marked for 250V usage then yes, it's safe to use. Any voltage from 230-250 is ok on UK mains supply.

bodhi said:
2. My TV sometimes flickers and makes a clicking noise, and when i look down the back of it there is a blue spark in the back. Does this mean my TV is going to break or im going to get blown to smitherines?!! :lol:

Bodhi

It probably does mean your TV is about to die. It sounds as if the tripler is on the way out or possibly one of the big capacitors, claasic symptoms you describe I'm afraid :(

Time to treat yourself to a flat screen :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm afraid your doomed Bodhi - please tell us the time and location of the wake
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Haha, thanks Ady!!

Oh god, i hope my TV doesn't die, it's a nice big sony CRT with great pic and i really cant afford a new TV at the moment!! :-(

Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought i'd let you know that the TV upstairs was doing the same thing, the reception was weird and it was making that funny sparking noise!! Odd eh?!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Haha, thanks Ady!!

Oh god, i hope my TV doesn't die, it's a nice big sony CRT with great pic and i really cant afford a new TV at the moment!! :-(

If you're that fond of it it may be worth having repaired.

I think a tripler costs about £30.00 and a typical repair charge would be about £50.00 (I'm guessing).

But bear in mind CRT TV's are practically worthless now, when I eventually get me's a flat screen jobbie a mate of mine's buying my 26" widescreen Goddmans CRT TV, silver colour and three years old - for £20.00.

And take a look on E-Bay - you can't give 'em away now :(

Stiil, a repair is cheaper tan 500 smackers for a flat screen I suppose.

Reaction score
We still have our big 29 year old Bang & Olufson heavy duty job.

I'll tell you what it is built like nothingo n earth.

Run everyday for nearly 3 decades, no problems :D

Ask a Question