Is Excel compatible With VB 2008 Express Edition

t m pete

Uninstalled Office Basic from new PC. Purchased and installed Office
Standard 2007. Downloaded VB 2008 Express Edition. Can not get VB Express to
interact with Excel and VB Express code does not work in Excel VB.
Thanks in advance

Jim Cone

That is because VB Express has nothing to do with Visual Basic.
They are completely unrelated.
Now why would MS name their completely unrelated program VB?. Let me guess...
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
Uninstalled Office Basic from new PC. Purchased and installed Office
Standard 2007. Downloaded VB 2008 Express Edition. Can not get VB Express to
interact with Excel and VB Express code does not work in Excel VB.
Thanks in advance
Thanks Jim for your quick response and no I don't want to guess

Keith R

T M Pete-

I'm not sure, but 2008 express editions may not have the VSTO tools that I
believe have been integrated into the VS2008 full programming suite. While
it should still be possible to program Excel from the express edition,
without the proper tools it might be more frustrating than it is worth
(speaking for myself, anyway). I'd suggest that you try posting in a .net
programming group, such as microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb for more
specific support if you don't get an answer in this newsgroup.

The exact syntax for the code will be different in VBA vs any of the VB.Net
editions, because VBA within Excel automatically assumes you are using the
Excel object model (unless you tell it differently, like when you are
automating other Office programs from Excel). So, you will need to tell VB
that you want to use the Excel object model, then adjust to slightly
different syntax. I've found that by learning one, my learning curve on the
other was much shorter, as compared to a different language with a different
syntax structure (like when I moved from Pascal to VB)

Thanks,
Keith