Is anyone having problems with default font on Word 2007?

DJO

WHen I try to set the default font and then exit Word, upon reentering Word,
the default does not appear. Anyone suggestions?

Stefan Blom

Open normal.dotm directly, as a file, and make the modifications there. To
find the file, you can perform a search in Windows (be sure to search hidden
files and folders, or you won't find it). When you are done, save and close
the file.

The next step would be to find out what is preventing you from saving
changes to normal.dotm. Often, the culprit is a poorly designed add-in. Did
you install something recently?

For trouble-shooting steps, you may also want to read this KB article:

How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2007,
Word 2003, or Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us

DJO

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I could not find a file called
normal.dotm, even when search hidden files and folders). The closest I came
was a file called the following: Normal11 [Compatibility Mode]. Any
suggestions on how to find or recreate normal.dotm?

Bob

Normal.dotm is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your User Name]\Application Data
\Microsoft\Templates

"Application Data" is a hidden folder.

Bob

Stefan Blom said:
Opennormal.dotmdirectly, as a file, and make the modifications there. To
find the file, you can perform a search in Windows (be sure to search hidden
files and folders, or you won't find it). When you are done,saveand close
the file.
The next step would be to find out what is preventing you from saving
changes tonormal.dotm. Often, the culprit is a poorly designed add-in. Did
you install something recently?
For trouble-shooting steps, you may also want to read this KB article:
How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or useWord 2007,
Word 2003, or Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us

semboyan

;353269']Normal.dotm is he

On Jul 22, 5:21 pm, DJO (e-mail address removed) wrote:-
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I could not find a file
callednormal.dotm, even when search hidden files and folders). The
closest I came
was a file called the following: Normal11 [Compatibility Mode]. Any
suggestions on how to find or recreatenormal.dotm?

:-
-
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP-
"DJO" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
WHen I try to set the default font and then exit Word, upon
reentering
Word,
the default does not appear. Anyone suggestions?---

This is really great and god information. I'm a new user for MCW2007.
Got problem for the first time

Stefan Blom

A file named Normal followed by a number is from a previous installation of
Word. It won't be used in Word 2007.

Note that you cannot manually create a normal.dotm file with the correct
settings; only Word can do this.

If normal.dotm really doesn't exist, because something is preventing it from
being saved to disk, you will have to find out what that something is
(usually a poorly written add-in). Did you read the linked article?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom said:
Open normal.dotm directly, as a file, and make the modifications there.
find the file, you can perform a search in Windows (be sure to search
hidden
files and folders, or you won't find it). When you are done, save and
close
the file.

The next step would be to find out what is preventing you from saving
changes to normal.dotm. Often, the culprit is a poorly designed add-in.
Did
you install something recently?

For trouble-shooting steps, you may also want to read this KB article:

How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2007,
Word 2003, or Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us

DJO

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I followed Stefan's advice and
checked on the add-in's. There were two that seemed to cause the problem.
They were "Microsoft Office Life Add-in beta" and "Microsoft.
Education.Office.Addin.Contact" I eventually removed both of them and the
problem was solved. I appreciate all of your help, and hope that this is
useful to others.

Stefan Blom said:
[...]

Thank you for the follow-up.

--