Is a router needed to network two computers?

I want to connect an IMAC (Apple) to a Windows XP (Toshiba Notebook.) What
hardware and software is required?

My IMAC is on Jaguar (that's version 10.1.5) and the instructions in the
help say I need to make the name of the workgroup match. I can't even find
where to do that...on either end.

Maybe I should pick up some instruction manual...networking Macs and PC's
for dummies?

Thanks if you want to pitch in and help.

Lorne

No idea about your apple, but 2 windows machines can be connected using a
standard network cable between their respective network cards. For more
than 2 machines you need a router.

To change the workgroup name in XP go to system properties (hold down the
windows key & press break) then edit using the "change" button under the
computer name tag.

You say you can connect 2 windows machines with a standard network cable
between their respective network cards - don't you need to use a crossover
cable ( where the receive and transmit wires are swapped ) if you are not
using a router ? I was told this, and maybe thats why I'm having problems
with my two computer network ?

Lorne

bubbagee said:
You say you can connect 2 windows machines with a standard network cable
between their respective network cards - don't you need to use a crossover
cable ( where the receive and transmit wires are swapped ) if you are not
using a router ? I was told this, and maybe thats why I'm having problems
with my two computer network ?

I am not sure - books certainly say you need a crossover for direct linking
without a router but I once needed to transfer some files to somebody else
who had no router but I had my laptop with a standard cable and it worked
when I connected so I have never done it differently. At home I have a
router but I have often connect direct to my sisters computer using the same
cable cable with no ill effects. I can also connect to the internet through
my sisters computer with this cable plugged directly into her computer.

If this is not supposed to work I would be interested to know why it has
worked for me!

River_Rat

This is correct, you will need a crossover cable to network 2 computers
without a router.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"bubbagee" <bubbagee[at]bigpond.com.[nospam]> wrote in message
You say you can connect 2 windows machines with a standard network cable
between their respective network cards - don't you need to use a crossover
cable ( where the receive and transmit wires are swapped ) if you are not
using a router ? I was told this, and maybe thats why I'm having problems
with my two computer network ?

Chuck

I am not sure - books certainly say you need a crossover for direct linking
without a router but I once needed to transfer some files to somebody else
who had no router but I had my laptop with a standard cable and it worked
when I connected so I have never done it differently. At home I have a
router but I have often connect direct to my sisters computer using the same
cable cable with no ill effects. I can also connect to the internet through
my sisters computer with this cable plugged directly into her computer.

If this is not supposed to work I would be interested to know why it has
worked for me!

Some Ethernet cards do automatic MDIX detection, but since most don't, it's
usually best to recommend using a cross-over cable.

You can also use a router for this, though you're only using the LAN switch,
which is kind of overkill.

--
Cheers,
Chuck