Event ID: 615
Date: 8/29/2003
Time: 7:59:57 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: .....
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with
error code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object
referenced.
.. IPSec Services could not be started.

(second error msg)

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 8/29/2003
Time: 7:59:57 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: .....
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of
network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard
to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the
protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor
snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

TIA.... DD

Dick D.

Is this a real concern? Where do I start looking for help?
Please point me in the right direction.

It is a little frustrating not getting one reply.

Thank you... DD

Boyd Benson [MSFT]

DD,

The first error (op. not supported) is almost definitely an issue with a
third party "layered service provider" (LSP) module. These modules shim
between winsock and applications and sometimes fail (for various reasons)
to support a base winsock feature. Most LSPs are installed by third-party
VPNs or firewalls so the user may want to check those. There is no
workaround except to update or uninstall the third-party software.

The second error: we haven't seen very often, but have seen it happen in
laptops when PNP network interfaces are added and removed.

Questions:
Have you installed VPN or firewall software on your machine? (As noted
above this may be causing the problem.)
Are you using a laptop or a desktop? Are you using a USB Ethernet adapter?
Devices that can PNP may not be loaded before IPsec initializes.

Boyd Benson
Microsoft Technical Support

Dick D.

Boyd,

For some reason I never saw your reply. I thought no one wanted to answer.
I am very, very sorry.

To answer your first question, I have McAfee Firewall installed by Dell. I
always manually start it after I boot up. These errors are occurring before
the firewall starts.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 desktop, XP HE sp1 with all the critical
updates. It has CNet Pro200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. I have nothing
plugged into the USB ports.

I will see if I can determine from the viewer entries what precedes the
IPSec failure. Please let me know if you need more information.

Again I am sorry I somehow did not see your reply even though I had watch
one my message OE.

Thanks... DD

Boyd Benson [MSFT]

Hi DD,

I would recommend disabling the filter driver for McAfee Firewall as a
test. I realize that you have the services set to Manual, etc, but I am
still concerned that the filter driver is interfering. Please use the
following KB article to disable McAfee and reboot.
240309 How to Fully Disable Antivirus Software from Filtering Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=240309

If it still occurs, please uninstall McAfee and reboot, and let me know
what happens.

Thanks!
Boyd Benson [MSFT]
Microsoft Technical Support
From: "Dick D." <[email protected]>

Boyd Benson [MSFT]

DD,

These are simply tests to identify the root cause of the problem. The
easiest way to do this would be to boot into Safe Mode. If this does not
work, please follow the steps in my post from a few minutes ago.

Boyd Benson [MSFT]
Microsoft Technical Support
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general