iPod Nano: Impossibly small, impossibly delicate

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Apple caused a storm with the release of the iPod Nano. The tiny music player was greeted with world-wide acclaim after it's launch only a matter of weeks ago, but in a short amount of time questions began to arise concerning the durability of the music player. The iPod Nano is marketed as an ultra-portable hi-tech media player - something you can store a thousand songs on that fits easily into any pocket. However, it would seem that customers who do just that are risking damage to their tiny gadget. There have been numerous complaints concerning how easily the screen becomes scratched and cracked (even ceasing to work at all), and many more regarding the 'flimsy' feel of the player.

Apple has yet to comment on these issues.

For further information, see C Net and Flawed Music Player.

Attachments

• Apple.jpg
    Apple.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 299

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet?

Reaction score
yes i have ... and they are really small !! to be honest i would like something a bit bigger and a bit more durable looking !

they are like the ipod mini when it come to looking for music on the touch wheel ... yet they are small and light ! ... when you see one you wouldnt think it is worth the money !! .. like something you could win in a cereal packet ! lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All I-Pods are rubbish :p

They're cheaply made and fall apart :p

The headphone socket is the first thing to go :p

They're over-hyped and over-priced :p

All owners are fashion victims :p

Creative Zen all the way :)

The views expressed in this post are the extremely biased, twisted and distorted views of Mr Flops and do not neccesarily represent the views of PC Review UK.

Mr Flops would also like to make it quite clear he doesn't give a monkeys what you think of the aforementioned points of view, cos he knows he's right :p

Reaction score
spose i am a fashion victim then :(

IPODS RULE !!

MORE THAN ZEN !!

i have had my ipod for a near year now and nothing what soever wrong with it! ... good battery life, get all the juice out of it as they say (12 hours) beats my mates hd3 for sound quality ... so IPODS forever!

and everyone ... if they were too fall apart and are really THAT rubbish ... why are so many people buying them ? i know people with a few ipods in there family ... and not one has gone wrong

itunes rules more than sonicstage and i havnt seen the zen in action with a pc but i heard the software sucks and you have to use windows media player ?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
spose i am a fashion victim then :(

IPODS RULE !!

MORE THAN ZEN !!

i have had my ipod for a near year now and nothing what soever wrong with it! ... good battery life, get all the juice out of it as they say (12 hours) beats my mates hd3 for sound quality ... so IPODS forever!

and everyone ... if they were too fall apart and are really THAT rubbish ... why are so many people buying them ? i know people with a few ipods in there family ... and not one has gone wrong

itunes rules more than sonicstage and i havnt seen the zen in action with a pc but i heard the software sucks and you have to use windows media player ?!

now see you've been brainwashed by the stupid adverts, and yes yours may not have any problems but there are a hell of alot of people that do have problems, my friend is on his fourth yet still refuses to get something else :confused:, but hey its his money and he thinks its the best thing in the world and i cant be bothered to try and convince him otherwise

so in summary the Ipod is
floppybootstomp said:
over-hyped and over-priced
;)

Reaction score
well i suppose im lucky ... but many people i know dont have many problems ...

i have to say apple's customer support is great! my mum lost alot of songs after a virus on her lappy and she purchased a fair few of albums on itunes ... and she was able to get all of them back no problems ...

But u have to hand it to apple ! there advertising is brilliant !

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Flops

You have made me laugh so much. My son almost 17 is desperate for a Nano - currently owns a Shuffle which has been ok and seems quite adequate for the job. Plus it was last Christmas' 'must have' which father and I sought high and low for. Oh and the son says to me: 'The Nano is only £179' and I say: 'So that's ok then!!'

Love Gabs xx

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Truly in my personal opinion iPod is a rip off, I was able to convice my son not to buy it.

The cost? Upwards of £6,000 - he now uses my hifi every now and then :D

Reaction score
The Nano is £139 online...

Just get a cheapo MP3 player, buy a big memory card for it and if you loose it or break it, its not as bigger deal... plus if you break the MP3 player your unlikely to lose the memory card - whats the cost of a new player? £20 or so...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
gabriella said:
My son almost 17 is desperate for a Nano - currently owns a Shuffle which has been ok and seems quite adequate for the job. Plus it was last Christmas' 'must have' which father and I sought high and low for. Oh and the son says to me: 'The Nano is only £179' and I say: 'So that's ok then!!'

How about the Creative Zen Nano? :D Bargain!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Chris

I know what you mean but u will also be aware of the 'must haves' and pressures on young people out there to have all these things and they need to look 'right'. He's got 2 jobs now so might save for one as dad and I aren't that convinced we should shell out any more on MP3 players!! BTW could you send me the link for the Nano at £139 as he might be interested and I don't think he's found one at that price?

Love

Gabs xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea Bex but he says the Creative Zen Nano isn't for him - too cheap!!!!

Gabs xx

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Thanks for the idea Bex but he says the Creative Zen Nano isn't for him - too cheap!!!!

Gabs xx

Ugh, teenagers! ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If I were you Gabs, I would wait a while before getting your son an iPod Nano. Everywhere I look there are stories about the fragility of it (after all, that is what this thread is all about) - I just don't think it could withstand the bashing it would get in the average teenager's pocket.

:blush:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Bex

TBH he's not getting one from us, not as the one he's got (the Shuffle) works well and is perfectly adequate. He's not had any problems with it. That may sound a bit harsh but with 3 of them, we have to have some boundaries otherwise we'd end up in the bankruptcy courts!!!!!! Plus he's almost 17 and wanting......loads of driving lessons plus unlimited use of my car for practice/driving later on - that little beauty will cost a bit!!!!!!

I will point out that the Nano is quite a delicate creature but I doubt it will put him off!!

Gabs xx

Ask a Question