iPhone 4S battery problem

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Anyone else having battery problems with their 4S? I took mine into the Apple shop last week and they ran a diagnostic which showed that my software isn't reading the battery properly. There isn't actually a problem with the battery, but the software thinks the phone is running on empty after a day and switches it off!!

I have to take it back in next week to be fixed - they are hoping that formating and reinstalling the software will solve the problem, but if not then they'll give me a new phone.

I've heard of other people having problems with their battery life on the 4S, and the impression I got from the guys in the shop was that mine is a common issue. Has anyone here had this problem too?

:wall:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a 3GS and since going to IOS 5 my battery life sucks. I am pretty much charging it every day now.:(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
How long does your battery last out of interest Bex?

Mines not as good as the 4, but its a more powerful phone and iOS5 is a bit of a drainer on the battery.

Tell you what you can do to maybe help.... (This is for all iOS5 not just the 4S)

Settings > Location Services > System Services (at the bottom)

Turn the all off, but leave Compass calibration and Mobile Network Search.

Also turn on the status bar icon to see just when system services are running GPS. Setting time zone is still bugged and is on almost all the time. so unless you spend you life in a plane you can turn it off. ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
This may help - iOS 5.0.1 update is now available - one of the fixes is "Fixes bugs affecting battery life"

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I generally charge my phone overnight, and the battery is running very low by the evening. If I don't charge it overnight it's dead by the next day. I've got location services off, and all push notifications turned off because I've heard those can drain battery power too. Despite all this the problem isn't with things draining the battery - it still has charge, but the phone doesn't detect that properly. The software incorrectly thinks the battery is really low on charge, so it turns the phone off automatically.

I upgraded to 5.0.1 as soon as it came out too, and that hasn't made any difference either. Grrr!!

The guy in the shop did say it's something that should hopefully be fixed in the next software update... but we shall see I guess.

EvanDavis - I can sympathise. Ian has the 3GS before getting the 4S and it would barely last a few hours before it was dead!

P.S. Nice to see you around Ady! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah that dont sound right at all Bex.... :(

Hopefully the guys at the store can get it sorted as i can imagine you can do much more to fix it yourself...

One thing i would recommend which helped for me is not to restore the phone from a backup, but set it up as a new phone. Bit of a pain in the ass, but its worth it in the long run, i get better battery out of it by doing that. :)

Hey Ady! :cheers:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do the iPhones have replaceable batteries or are they sealed in a la iPods?

If you swap them in and out it may be an idea to get another battery. If not, well that's Apple for you :D

And yes, Hiya Ady, Hiya Dad :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Do the iPhones have replaceable batteries or are they sealed in a la iPods?

If you swap them in and out it may be an idea to get another battery. If not, well that's Apple for you :D

And yes, Hiya Ady, Hiya Dad :)

Sealed like the iPod, but in my case I bought a new battery and changed it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sealed like the iPod, but in my case I bought a new battery and changed it.

What, like This? ;)

Ever wondered why Apple are the only portable music player and phone manufacturers who seal their units so you (officially) can't change the battery?

I'll hazard a guess and say it's because a) They're greedy and b) They really are not very nice people.

Anyways, this is perhaps a little off topic, I just wondered if in the absence of a cure it might have been an idea to get a second battery, but no.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What, like This? ;)

Ever wondered why Apple are the only portable music player and phone manufacturers who seal their units so you (officially) can't change the battery?

I'll hazard a guess and say it's because a) They're greedy and b) They really are not very nice people.

Anyways, this is perhaps a little off topic, I just wondered if in the absence of a cure it might have been an idea to get a second battery, but no.

Yup, similar sort of process to your link. And its not just their phones and music players that are hard to get into. Macbook and iMac are equally as hard. Think its all about the money. You pay a fortune to get any Apple product repaired.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm taking it into the Apple shop on Wednesday... fingers crossed it all goes well! I'll let you know how I get on :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'll be very interested to hear what they say/do Bex. :)

One thing i love about Apple, their Customer Service. Cant fault them.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Scratch that, they are fully booked on Wednesday. I've got an appointment on Friday... clearly everyone is having problems!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Apple is no stranger to overheating and expoding batteries"

Blimey!! :eek:

Yes but do not forget. They look great when they are working and they look great when they are exploding. So at least they look beautiful when they die and it is the design and wow factor you are paying for. :fool::lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
"Apple is no stranger to overheating and expoding batteries"

Blimey!! :eek:

I do remember a story a few years back I think. When somebody was actually hurt from a battery in an Apple product and Apple actually tried to keep them quiet.
Apple aren't all that cracked up to be what they make out. I have a few friends in the US that say dealing with them is a nightmare. They will try put every blame on the customer.:(

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I had the fresh install of software on Friday, and restored my phone from the iTunes back ups.

Unfortunately I've not noticed a difference :( I was away visiting family this weekend and my usage was probably slightly heavier than usual, so I thought that may have explained it. So when we got back we decided to do a test - Ian and I fully charged our phones, and unplugged them before we went to sleep....

...Lo and behold, this morning Ian's battery reads 92% and mine reads 48% :mad:

Going back on Wednesday, and hopefully they'll give me a new phone!!

Ask a Question