IPAQ 1940 + Tom Tom 5 COM Port Problem

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to set up my IPAQ 1940 and GPS connection. The instructions say the GPS settings should be set to Baud Rate: 19200 and COM Port 1. I have an Arkon Powered GPS PDA Mount

I go into the software and select the following:

Show GPS Status-->

(Have to select one of the following:
Tom Tom Wireless GPS
Tom Tom Cable GPS
Other Bluetooth GPS
Other Cable NMEA GPS)

I select Other Cable NMEA GPS (I presume this is correct)
Select the Baud Rate of 19200

I then get a screen asking saying "GPS is connected to:
COM3
Bluetooth Serial Port...
Bluetooth Serial Port...
S2410 IRDA2410
S2410 COM0
Serial on USB

As you can see there isn't an option to select COM1. I have tried COM3 but doesn't work.

I have turned the Beam off under Settings-->Connections on the IPAQ. I have no idea how to check what COM Ports are being utilised on the IPAQ.

Anyone have any ideas how to get COM1 working?

Many thanks,

Ian

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
On a PC you'll find COM1 automatically enabled, unless you disabled it via the BIOS ...

There are four std COM ports on a PC 1, 2, 3, 4 ... however, there is actually only two physical connectors.

COM 1 & 3 as 2 & 4 are shared, but use a different address for access. You can change these address in the BIOS ... does an iPAQ have a bios?

Don't help you much, but then you are using MS software, and that's the way it always has been. ;)

Try HP for 'help' ... err, maybe.

:)

Ask a Question