IP Address problem

phil sigley

Hi, here's the scenario.

Our network mainly uses IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.0 -
192.168.0.255, these addresses are allocated using DHCP. Recently with
the addition of more clients we bagan to run out of IP addresses so i
set up the following in DHCP.

A superscope containing the following scopes 192.168.0.1 -
192.168.0.255 (the original and a new scope with the range 192.168.1.0
- 192.168.1.255.

Now we are using more of the IPs in the new range i have reports of
machines that wont conact the servers (which have IPs in the orignal
range) After investigation i have found that clients can talk to
machines with an IP in the same scope but not to machines with an IP
in the opposite scope. Obviously this is means a growing number of
users are unable to log on.

Can anyone help me with this???

Phil Sigley

Pegasus \(MVP\)

You will have to adjust your subnet mask so that the
machines know which addresses are reachable within
your network and which ones are to be accessed via
the default gateway.

Danny Slye - [MSFT}

This is because hosts with IPs from the 192.168.0.0 range and hosts from
the 192.168.1.0 ranges are on different logical subnets and have no route
to each other except for their default gateway. Your best bet in this
scenario is to resubnet with a different subnet mask that allows for more
addresses.
--------------------
[...]

__
Danny Slye
Microsoft Support Professional
MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

phil sigley

Sorry this is not really something i understand, what do i change the
subnets to and where.

Danny Slye - [MSFT}

You need to delete your superscope and the child scopes and create a new
scope 192.168.0.0 with a 23-bit subnet mask or 255.255.254.0. This will
give you a single scope with addresses from 192.168.0.1 through
192.168.1.254. This will give you 510 addresses.
--------------------
This is because hosts with IPs from the 192.168.0.0 range and hosts from
the 192.168.1.0 ranges are on different logical subnets and have no route
to each other except for their default gateway. Your best bet in this
scenario is to resubnet with a different subnet mask that allows for more
addresses.
--------------------

__
Danny Slye
Microsoft Support Professional
MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

__
Danny Slye
Microsoft Support Professional
MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

phil sigley

Thanks, i'll give that a try. Some of our machine have static IPs will
i have to change the subnet masks on these machines???

Danny Slye - [MSFT}

Yes, you will need to change the subnet masks on the machines with static
IPs. Hopefully, there are not too many