Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Browsing, clear the Enable third-party browser
extensions
(requires restart) check box.
5. Restart Internet Explorer.

G

thank YOU! been searching for a solution myself and surprised that such a simple solution did the trick. I tried myself and it worked. thanks again!

M

mike

-----Original Message-----
I tried for 2 days of troubleshooting and finally got
some good advice form the chat area. Try this;

To test with: Disable third-party browser extensions in
Internet Explorer:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control
Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Browsing, clear the Enable third-party browser
extensions
(requires restart) check box.
5. Restart Internet Explorer.

THANK YOU

R

Ramesh [MVP]

BTW, that's just a workaround. You need to eliminate the spyware actually. Disabling third-party browser extensions is an option using which we are telling Internet Explorer not to load the 3rd party plugins. This is a quick workaround to disable malware plugins and this obviously disables all the legit ones [google toolbars, for example]. If you want to selectively disable/delete third-party plugins [BHOs], you may consider using ToolbarCop utility:

Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

Download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com, scan the system and eliminate the malware products.

G

Hi Ramesh

I'm a novice at this and prior to Terry's post, I browsed all over this forum and posted my problem which for some reason didn't get through on this forum. Based on what I gathered around here, I had originally downloaded stuff from lavasoft and spy-bot or whatever those names were and I ran the programs and they did eliminate quite a few unwanted stuff on my computer, but that didn't solve my problem. I still had trouble loading certain webpages, specially pages that seemed to have ads that flashed quite a bit and IE simply gave me error msgs on loading. You are right that I'm not able to use Yahoo companion toolbar (third party plugins) which I needed for pop-up blocking but I just loaded something else that didn't require plugins so now, at least in appearance, I'm surfing free of problems and still enjoy pop-up protection. I'm going to try your solution with toolbarcop. So thanks for that suggestion. I'm just surprised that with all of MSFT XP patches they don't come up with an in-house MSFT patch to solve this problem??

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Please stay tuned till the SP2 comes out ;) Keep watchin'

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
-------------------------------------------
How to guard against CoolWebSearch spyware:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Defend_CWS.htm
-------------------------------------------

Hi Ramesh,

I'm a novice at this and prior to Terry's post, I browsed all over this forum and posted my problem which for some reason didn't get through on this forum. Based on what I gathered around here, I had originally downloaded stuff from lavasoft and spy-bot or whatever those names were and I ran the programs and they did eliminate quite a few unwanted stuff on my computer, but that didn't solve my problem. I still had trouble loading certain webpages, specially pages that seemed to have ads that flashed quite a bit and IE simply gave me error msgs on loading. You are right that I'm not able to use Yahoo companion toolbar (third party plugins) which I needed for pop-up blocking but I just loaded something else that didn't require plugins so now, at least in appearance, I'm surfing free of problems and still enjoy pop-up protection. I'm going to try your solution with toolbarcop. So thanks for that suggestion. I'm just surprised that with all of MSFT XP patches they don't come up with an in-house MSFT patch to solve this problem??

Ask a Question